The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Trackback Bug in 2.6.2? (6 posts)

1. ams16
    Posted 15 years ago #

After the update to WPMU 2.6.2 the trackback function doesn't work exactly how it should. When i make links to other Wordpress Blogs in one post, WPMU doesn't trackback this link and no trackback comment on the other blog happens, it only works when i manually write down the trackbackurl (with /trackback) to the trackback field. How can i fix this bug?

2. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

Here's a troubleshooting list about Pingbacks from my site:

The most common problems I've seen:

1. Double-triple-check that the linking URL is to a "ping-able" post (not a page or the blog URL).

2. The post you publish the link from must be "public" (Settings-->Privacy check one of the first two settings). If your blog is private(three remaining settings), it doesn't send pings. You'll have to submit comments the old fashioned way, then. The receiving post must also be visible to the net.

3. The post is not published or is password protected.

4. Settings-->Discussion-> check "Attempt to notify any blogs linked to from the article (slows down posting.)"

5. Receiving post must have checks next to "Allow Comments" and "Allow Pings" in edit form.

While editing a post you can investigate if your post "pinged" by looking under Advanced Options-->Trackbacks for "Already Pinged".

3. ams16
    Posted 15 years ago #

There is the point, the links are under Advanced Options--> Trackbacks for "Already Pinged", but doesn't show up on the other blog in the comments as a trackback...

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you know for sure the other blog has trackbacks turned on? Or you're not caught in their spam filter?

5. ams16
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, because i tested it with blogs of my own on this wpmu installation. When I link from the post to the other posts url, nothings happens, but when i enter the trackback-url of the other post in the trackbackfield i get the trackback on the other blog, but with WPMU 2.6.1 i know for sure, that it goes when i only make the link to the other post inside the post.

6. kre8tiv
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi guys, I know this topic is quite old, but I still having the same problems described by ams16.

I tested it with a normal wordpress-installation and three different mu-installations (one nearly out of the box) - no pingbacks are generated, I have to manually generate trackbacks (of course with the trackback-urls of the postings I want to link to).

And this is with wpmu 2.7 - so the bug is still there. I also changed the line 201 in wp/includes/cron.php from 0.01 to 1 - no success.

I'm wondering if nobody else has these problems?

About this Topic