The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Hosting 700,000 users (14 posts)

1. GX-new
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi there,

In an academic community with more than 700,000 users, we are going to give them each a personal blog.
    So there will be at least 700,000 signups and we expect at least 100,000 active users.

I would appreciate any help or comment about our possible hosting solutions first, and then company recommendations.

I did search the forums, but it seems all the questions before were for small amount of blogs.

Thanx

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

There's a premium plugin called Multi-DB which will help you scale.

Sidenote: If your budget allows, why not consult http://incsub.com/
    With an install of that size, it's better to get it all right from the get go.

3. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

We have set up a WPMU system with ~10000 users. We used Multi-DB plugin - it is great but definitely not enough to make the system run fluently :)

Drop me a line to venturemaker [at] gmail [dot] com - we'll be able to give you some tips on this.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You'll need some hardware, that's for sure. :D

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

+1 for the hardware. With that amount of users, bringing in a mu consultant would be a plus. At that level, you start talking about caching servers and the like.

Bandwidth should be on the list as well.

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Holy sh*t. We made VentureMaker speechless. :)

8. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

:) Don't even dream of this to happen ;)

I posted a reply in wrong thread and retracted after a minute. Happens, especially after a long party night ;)

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

*dies laughing*

10. GX-new
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks every one,

So do you think we should handle the hosting (hardware) our selves or is there a dependable company out there to do it?

(handling several databases and web servers and ftp servers and load balancing and caching and dns server and ...)

11. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

You should definitely hire someone :) Maintaining such a cluster isn't that easy...

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

You may want to take a look at the links I gave in this thread. It may be a help for you as well.

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=10060

13. lloydbudd
    Posted 15 years ago #

> There's a premium plugin called Multi-DB which will help you scale.

HyperDB is what we use on WordPress.com , and the code is open source.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/HyperDB

14. GX-new
    Posted 15 years ago #

That was helpful. Thanks a lot Lloyd, and also you tdjcbe & VentureMaker. We are still studying and we hope to come to a conclusion soon.

About this Topic