The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to Install WordPress MU for Beginners - video (11 posts)

1. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Heya Y'all,

I've put up a quick (8 minute) video that runs through everything you need to do to simply install WPMU via cPanel on a simple $7 + domain hosting plan:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/getting-started-with-wpmu/

Would love some feedback on how this could be improved / anything I've missed out / other stuff so let me know how you find it!

Cheers, James

2. jacco
    Posted 15 years ago #

A very good video tutorial. I watched it from end to end.

I think the clip would help more people out if the it was made for stand alone type Wordpress. As I see quite a lot people who want to install their own blogs have least knowledge on cpanel and ftp.

On the other hand, I guess for those who brave enough venturing into WPMU, should already have some experience in standalone WP or the likes.

For myself I found the most challenging part on making a WPMU site is how to customize and fine tunning it.

"Market" size of WP is likely be hundreds times bigger than WPMU : )

Cheers mate.

3. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Jacco, mucho appreciated feedback.

Could anyone else give me some pointers - I really need the help :)

4. darenshawn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nice tutorial. Thanks! It will be good if I can have some words to read. Just my 2 cents..

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Um, the readme file maybe?

If you search the forums here, there's a couple of cpanel walkthrus already.

6. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, this is brilliant Farms! I could've done with this back in April 08 when my VPS host upgraded us to cPanel, thus wiping out my whole install for the first time. I then ended up having to reinstall WPMU 6 times (count them, 6!) for various reasons.

7. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks guys - do you think that the written guides should be in pdf (print out and follow) or just on the screen... or both :)

8. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Should be on screen with links and references to backup and for further reading. You'll kill ya self tryin to cover everything :D

9. lonchbox
    Posted 15 years ago #

Greate tutorial, but, how do I make multiple blogs ¿?, I have 8 domains that I want to convert to a blog, so I have installed and owrking a WP MU on one subdomain of one of the 8 domains I have.
    So, how do I make the other domains using WP MU ?, should I install on each one a WPMU but with the same database ? or usign a plugin!?.

Sorry if its a stupid question but I don´t have any idea!

Thanx

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

check out "domain mapping" here in the forums.

you set up each blog as a sub-blog on your MU install, then map each domain to each blog.

11. azizpoonawalla
    Posted 15 years ago #

James, i think i ca do the same for you for users on Dreamhost, as there are some differences. Let me know via email if youre willing...

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Farms
  • Latest reply from azizpoonawalla