The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WP-Super-Cache: Allow admins to Clear their blog's cache? (5 posts)

1. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does it make sense to provide a button to clear a Blog Admin's cache?

A couple of thoughts:

• limit ability to clear cache to individual blogs
    • 'throttle' it to limit abuse (once every 10 minutes?)
    • limit access (admins? editors?)
  2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

While I understand your point, the cache is already cleared when a number of events happen. ie A comment or Post is published, the theme is changed, a widget is added or removed, etc. I would think those would be the only time the cache would need to be cleared.

3. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks much for your response!

Unfortunately, in my case, the cache does not appear to be cleared for /category/*, /tag/*, /etc/* (hence the reason for my post here).

In addition, although WP Super Cache may clear the cache when widgets are added/removed (I haven't tested that yet), it currently does not clear the cache when widgets are changed (or when WP-SuperCache unaware plugin options are updated). However, there appears to be a fix by adding the following code under line 367 of wp-includes/widgets.php (thanks Ben!):

// Added to clear WP-Super Cache after the widgets are updated.
    // Code by Elad Salomons http://www.ringofblogs.com
    if(function_exists('wp_cache_no_postid')) {
    wp_cache_no_postid(0);
    }

FWIW, I started this post on the WPMU Forums instead of on the official WP Super Cache, because this question is WPMU-specific.

4. benchun
    Posted 15 years ago #

Glad to help. I'm not confident that this catches all the cases where the cache needs to be cleared, but it's a start.

5. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah... in all honesty, though, the bug (it's not a feature is it? ;-) should be fixed, rather than adding a 'failsafe' button...

BTW, I said 'Thanks Ben!' but didn't add a huge 'Thanks Elad!' in as well... And of course... 'Thanks Donncha!'... and while we're at it... 'Thanks Mom!'

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by webmaestro
  • Latest reply from webmaestro