The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

[closed] Dead in the water failure to connect - FIXED (4 posts)

1. bentrem
    Posted 15 years ago #

*FIXED see below*

domain.com/wpmu ... form filled in ... "Error establishing a database connection"
    But when I go to mysql.domain.com and enter name and password, everything is fine.

I confirmed the database name, UserName, PassWord, database host (mysql.domain.com, right?) ... the only oddball is "Server Adress" ... domain.com, right?

I'm flummoxed.
    I've been through WP install a dozen or so times. MediaWiki almost as often. phpBB, Joomla, and on and on.
    This has me stumped.

--bentrem

Fix: rubber.chicken 101 ... I deleted wp-config.php and redid from start. Worked like a charm.
    Chicken Guts: let's say I had something wrong my first time. Apparently that created a flawed config.php ... which didn't update with correct data from the form. Just guessing.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Please next time walk us through what you;ve done and what you;re doing.

From the readme file: http://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_WPMU

3. bentrem
    Posted 15 years ago #

I went through the install. Nothing more. (Ok, 1 detail: I installed to domain.com/wpmu ... like the docs said to.)
    I went through the drill. FAIL. (I'm guessing I did a typo first time through.) Repeatedly.
    I deleted config and everything went perfectly well.

I apologize profusely for not having completely documented this self-fixed problem to your liking.

NB: WP forums are really not friendly. And I didn't just fall off a turnip truck, so don't start in on my.

bdt

p.s. I came by to post "Ok, I'm missing something basic" but the churlish tone I've encountered here and elsewhere (Yes, I do read the docs ... and the forum ... and the wiki ... and blog posts ... as if any of that matters /even slightly/.) really puts me off.

WP => Wack Pricks?

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, sorry if you're upset but it's kind of hard when folks trying to help you don't get enough basic information to actually help. Docs have been written to provide folks with help. You yourself make the suggestion about adding information to the readme file. Others have done this previously which is how the debugging page got created. May I ask why you;re upset with being pointed to that when you yourself point out the importance of docs?

I'll skip the rest as I think it's funny that you're calling us "not friendly" but yet I don't see a "please" or "thank you" in your post.

About this Topic