The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can't initiate install, getting error message No WPMU site defined on this host. (5 posts)

1. metafluence
    Posted 15 years ago #

* Is VHOST true or false? not sure
    * Is the path to your WordPress? MU install "/" or some directory? /
    * Anything in the error logs? If you didn't get a welcome email, check your mail logs. Yes, [21-Nov-2008 11:43:18] PHP Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn't find constant VHOST in /home/metaflue/public_html/beerandblog/wpmu-settings.php on line 34
    * Did you receive any sort of error within your browser? If so, what was the specific error? No
    * Does the information in wp_blogs, wp_users and wp_site match your blog, user and site? No DB created yet
    * Mention the version number, SVN check-in number or the date you downloaded the snapshot. 2.6.3
    * Plugins in place? Have you tried turning them off and seeing if that affects the issue? None
    * Server environment: Apache or IIS? What OS are you running? Any proxy or cache server in place? Apache 2.2.9 (UNIX), no proxy or cache server
    * End user environment: Browser and version? (IE, Opera, Netscape, Safari?) OS? Security programs? Mac, Firefox 3.0.4 and Safari 3.1.2
    * How to dupe the error. Please provide the specifics as to what you did to arrive at the error. Where within the site did the error appear? What is the specific error that you have received if you are getting one? I accessed the index.php to trigger an installation, and I'm getting this error message: No WPMU site defined on this host.
    * Give details. Please remember that you're the one seeing the error and many times, you're the only one seeing that error. Folks can't read minds or else they would be in Vegas playing cards instead of trying to help other folks on the Mu forums. I followed the README.txt closely. The only step I didn't know to do was the Apache portion. I am running a WPMU site on another domain on the same hosting account, so I don't think I need to change any Apache settings. I did update my php.ini according to the README.txt. I do not have a wp-config.php file created. I deleted the .htaccess file.

2. metafluence
    Posted 15 years ago #

Site is http://beerandblog.com/index.php. I have a placeholder up at http://beerandblog.com/ so make sure to use the index.php in the address

3. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

* Is VHOST true or false? not sure

This is your problem. Wildcard DNS and Apache ServerAlias not set up properly.

Another suggestion: search the forum before posting. Really, entering 'No WPMU site defined on this host' into search box would have brought you valuable info to start from.

4. metafluence
    Posted 15 years ago #

Dude, I thought my thorough completion of the information indicated I had looked through the forum and did not find an answer. I made sure to indicate I had read the README.txt, followed the directions, no wp-config (which is what most of the search results indicated for my error message), and that I had deleted the .htaccess file. I made sure to provide all of the details requested on http://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_WPMU. So why the snark?

Can you help me understand why does WPMU work for one add on domain and not another when they're on the same hosting account? Wildcard DNS works for the other install.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Because you're on a shared host the new install is reading the config file of the other install. Thus, spewing the "no wpmu defined on this host" before you've even installed it.

rename the other config file for five minutes while you set up the new one. that's one fix.

Argh, i can't remember the other one.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by metafluence
  • Latest reply from andrea_r