The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Import users problem (5 posts)

1. mptre
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi there!
    I recently started working with a quite large WordPress MU project. My task is to import some existing WordPress blog to the MU platform. After some testing and tweaking I was able to import the users with a script I've wrote. First I imported the users from a blog into a own table in the MU database. Then runned a script that checks if the user already exists in the wp_users table. Then deleted the duplicates and then imported them to the wp_users table. And then finally run a script that generates the needed info to the wp_usermate table. Worked fine so far.

The problem is that I can't login with the imported users even if I reset their password. Every webbrowser complains over a redirectloops that makes it impossible to show the requested page. any thoughts on this? Am I missing something here? Some needed info in some table perhaps?

Would really appreciate some help here!

2. conpeo
    Posted 15 years ago #

- Login as administrator
    - SiteAdmin - Blog - Fill in the 3 blanks to create new blog for the user. submit.
    - SiteAdmin - Users - Choose the new user created, then the page will bring u to the that user profile, change the pswd. update user.
    - Admin logout

- Login as user (with the pswd updated just now)
    - Manage - Import - Wordpress - Choose the xml file to import. Upload file and import.
    - map to the author. take time to load... ok

3. dreydesign
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have an issue and I was hoping you would have some idea on how to solve. We run an online magazine, with around 50 authors on a normal Wordpress. We hadn’t used MU both for ignorance about it and because we were not expecting to expand so much so quickly. The second reason is that we do not allow the authors to log in wordpress and post the articles themselves, but we have redactors taking care of them, to ensure the quality of the articles and of their look and feel. We have anyhow 50 and more profiles, to have the names and profiles of each writer in the page of their article.
    Now the question : we want to move now to MU to create a network within the magazine, how can I move more quickly the whole list of users, with all their data in them, without having to recreate the users one by one in MU, and having to set up the author of the posts one by one? Thanks in advance!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

If they're all still attached to one blog, when you do a regular Import, it will still create the users if they don't exists (won't it?).

Alternatively, you can do a db import-export.

It's tricky, but do-able. If you screw it up, the worst that happens is users are assigned to the wrong posts, but you can fix that too.

5. dreydesign
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok thanks :) in fact i'm making these questions before trying to change to wordpressMU, not to get stucked in problems on the way, i can't leave the magazine offline too long, and i can do these things only night time, when less users are connected :) thanks for the quick reply!

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by mptre
  • Latest reply from dreydesign