The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Exporting issue (4 posts)

1. kp2575
    Posted 15 years ago #

I created a MU install (pointlessbantermedia.com) a year and a half ago that used the old redirect plugin so I could put multiple domains on it. The MU install hosted 5 domains, (previewbox.com, songwonder.com, pointlessbanter.net, and others) one of the domains had a subdomain on it.(trancejen.pointlessbanter.net) Since that time all of the domains have moved off onto their own installs or the sites shut down including the domain (pointlessbanter.net).

The subdomain of pointlessbanter.net (trancejen) was still hosted on the wordpressmu install at pointlessbantermedia.com. It functioned by having a dns zone file pointing the to the IP address of the MU install.

Last month I was moved from a shared hosting environment to a dedicated hosting environment by my hosting provider. When that happened the trancejen.pointlessbanter.net subdomain became inaccessible. I opened up a trouble ticket with them and I was told that it was impossible to get that domain to work again. (I was never given a clear explanation why just that it was kind of a fluke that it was working before.)

So I created the domain trancejen.net to set up a blog for her. I had a month old export of hers and imported it into the new wodpress install but there were hundreds of posts missing. Since I can't get to old subdomain the only option I have is to do this through the database.

My questions:
    1) Can I get the subdomain to work again? Just for the ease of using the exporter so I don't have to play with the database?
    2) Because the of the database differences between MU and wordpress.org is there an easier way to move the files over?
    3) How much drinking am I going to need to do not to go insane with this?

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

1) Can I get the subdomain to work again? Just for the ease of using the exporter so I don't have to play with the database?

I'd say that you better play with DB and edit this blog's url to be something that you can access. Do a simple search/replace of trancejen.pointlessbanter.net to whatever else in sql file. This should be easy :)

2) Because the of the database differences between MU and wordpress.org is there an easier way to move the files over?

Only copying from blogs.dir/<blog_id>/files... as far as I know.

3) How much drinking am I going to need to do not to go insane with this?

Not really much :) I'd say that you'll have to spend a bit of time and be careful. Nothing more than that.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd say it was because the IP address changed. :D

So... yeah, this is slightly less work than the opposite. here's a tut, just do it backwards.
    http://bavatuesdays.com/importing-a-single-wp-blog-to-a-wpmu-installation/

but basically with the db tables you're renaming the fields and the address. Might have the change the author id in there too.

I would definitely be more comfortable with working on the SQL export file and the db directly. Give yourself the afternoon, take breaks. :)

4. kp2575
    Posted 15 years ago #

I tried to change the IP addresses in the DNS but that failed. Wait that was joke right? I am too emotional right now to joke. :)

Thanks for the tutorial... I am going to jump into this now...

About this Topic