The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Want to Start Blogging Service (16 posts)

1. sasjamal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi guys,

I would like to start my own type of wordpress.com is the current avaialble code base usable to do something like that? Or would it require a lot of work?

And is there someone who has experience doing this? who could help me get started? (or do it for a fee?).

2. kiwizz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Im playing around with the code etc, seems fine so far, but Im having trouble with my php skills (got a bit rusty). Read through this site, and you should be able to get WPMU running reasonably well.

3. sasjamal
    Posted 17 years ago #

is there a tutorial that will show you how to get it up and running?

Sas

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just this forum. :)

5. sasjamal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Will it be able to match the same levlel at wordpress.com *such as the widgets, etc.*?

Sas

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

wp.com runs off of a customized code base. Most of the features are available but not all.

7. sasjamal
    Posted 17 years ago #

any ideas of what the limitations are, etc. :) sorry for so many questions, just like knowig what i am getting into..

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Widgets are theme-dependant mostly, but yes. I use widgetized themes all over my site.

One thing I know wp.com has that this code base doesn't: site cloud or site-wide tags or global categories.

Why not pick a few forum members and sign up for blogs at their sites to check them out from the user end?

9. sasjamal
    Posted 17 years ago #

ahh just gave up on doing it that way.. did the other way:

http://www.puglu.com

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

No disrespect intended towards Matt and crew. :)

If you want to compete against WP.com, I would lean towards a few features.

- Themes. A large number of them and of different types. WP.com has something like 2 dozen IIRC. And maybe some repeats within those themes. (ie Wheatgrass with a sidebar on single pages and without it.)

- Widgets. WP.com seems to only have a few of them installed. Not even all of the ones that come with the normal MU install.

- Space. 25 megs really isn't that much but I would think it would be for most people. Promote 50 megs or something like that. Not everybody is going to use it all of course.

- Support. Get a well written FAQ and reply to questions posted to your support forums. (And, no, I don't want to moderate another forum. Something like 19 now. :)

I'm really torn on the Site Wide tag system. When this rolled out, there was a fair amount of disagreement within the WP.com forums when this rolled out. I for myself don't like it but I can see where others would.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"- Widgets. WP.com seems to only have a few of them installed. Not even all of the ones that come with the normal MU install."

Granted, I am using a build from mid-February, but is widgets now included in the latest MU installs?

12. sasjamal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey do not wanna copete against wordpress! Just wated to set up a nice blogging siste for friends, family and a few sites I am involved with.

:)

13. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

sasjamal still having problems with MU?

14. sasjamal
    Posted 17 years ago #

No, you can see what I did here:

http://www.puglu.com/

It just creates an instance of wordpress for the client.

I actually prefer this, as its easier to deploy updates, uses a stable code base - and we can eaisly load it with themes, and plugins - right now, its a base installation, soon it will plugged in with more features.

15. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Using single WP installations or MU? What stable code you using?

16. sasjamal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Single WP installation, thats the stable code=) just create individal logs for all of our users.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by sasjamal
  • Latest reply from sasjamal