The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

[closed] This one is tricky, WPMU, multi-domains, multi-IP (15 posts)

1. jacenavarro
    Posted 15 years ago #

At the moment 1 have 1 wpmu installation on 1 server and 5 blogs=domains. The installation is private i use WPMU for my convenience only

I want to buy 5 hosting accounts so i get 5 different IP addresses.

Is it possible in any way to still have 1 installation with 1 DB, but all of those 5 domains will show different IP addresses? it is MOSTLY important for google that i dont interlink domains with the same ip address.

Or maybe you know of some custom hosting option that would provide me with that option?

2. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can you not buy 5 IP addresses to point to the same hosting account. Set your DNS up so each domain has it's own IP address and set up your webserver (apache, etc) to point all the IP addresses/domains to the same html directory in which you have your WPMU installation?

3. jacenavarro
    Posted 15 years ago #

isnt it like IP address is bound to files, no to the domain? do you know what i mean?

Maybe i will try to paste them what you written and they will make something up :P

4. jacenavarro
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok i asked at my hosting and i can buy additional IP.

But they say that it is not possible with WPMU. What should i tell them exactly to do? I'm using multi site manager

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

"it is MOSTLY important for google that i dont interlink domains with the same ip address."

Why?

6. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Your IP is bound to your "server" effectively. So if you have a server with 5 IPS, then pinging any of those IPS pings the same server.

You set up your web server (apache, etc..) to say "For this IP address - get the stuff from here". If you tell it to look in the same location for all 5 IPS (and domains) then if you put any of the 5 IP addresses in a browser it will pull the same thing.

Next your set up your DNS server so that each of your 5 domaains uses ONE of your 5 IP addresses (so each has there own IP).

Again, now all domains point to the same location. If WPMU is in that single location and you have the multi-site manager set up so that it knows about all 5 domains, it'll work fine.

7. jacenavarro
    Posted 15 years ago #

it just doesnt give any SEO juice.

Its obvious that you can link your own sites, so it has no value for google. It doesnt count as a backlink. Furthermore if you interlink many own domains, it can be penalized.

you can read something here:
    http://www.seohosting.com/blog/seo-tips/what-is-a-separate-c-class-ip/

8. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

But as @SteveAtty suggests... It isn't really needed.
    If it was, then think of all those people on shared hosting that would be getting penalised... 1 IP address per 200+ websites.

9. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

The poster is attempting to get around how Google will detect and downgrade duplicate content on the same IP address. If Google sees the same content but on different Class C's, it won't see it as the same content and will spider it as original.

It's a trick of *cough* internet marketers. *cough* *cough*

Most hosters can and will supply you with additional IP addresses. There's usually an extra fee and you may have to justify the need for them.

Additional sites usually isn't a justification though (I know it won't fly with me) and you can have many sites tied to a single IP address. Usually you'll only get them if you need to provide your own DNS servers, need to install an SSL certificate, etc. You mind as well ask your hoster though. They still may be willing if they have extra.

To be honest though, if the spiders detect that those 5 addresses are behind the same router, it'll still see them as being on the same box.

Considering that this is Black Hat SEO, I'm marking this thread as a modlook and suggesting that it be closed. I really don't think most of us want to go down this path and suggest we let this one slide.

10. jacenavarro
    Posted 15 years ago #

actually you are wrong, tdjcbe. why would i copy the same content twice? I have several blogs promoting my e commerce site and i dont get those links as backlinks in google so i thought i could use that trick.

"If Google sees the same content but on different Class C's, it won't see it as the same content and will spider it as original."

why google wouldn't see it as same? this is ridiculous.

I haven't written anything leading to that i use Black Hat seo, and assuming i do just because this is a trick black hatters use, is just plain stupid.

11. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

so you expect us to believe youre gonna use BH for non-BH? if you've got something else in mind besides using WPMu's multisite capabilities to link back to your 'e-commerce' site, feel free to explain below. new ideas are welcome.

i thought SEO was dead.

12. jacenavarro
    Posted 15 years ago #

how are those techniques BH? posting domains on different IP addresses to get more juice is considered BH? since when?

13. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

But why do you want different domains on different IPs but all running on the same server?

You said interlinking and google which implies you're trying to fiddle your google rankings

14. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was going to let this one slide but one of my clients did a quick google and pointed me to the poster's twitter account:

http://twitter.com/jacenavarro

Please note how the links to their "blog" redirect elsewhere.

There are other examples as well.

15. jacenavarro
    Posted 15 years ago #

didnt need that domain anymore, so I 301, this still is nothing BH

ok, this is pointless, you were right tdjcbe, its better to lock the thread.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by jacenavarro
  • Latest reply from jacenavarro