The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Best Hosting Plan/Service for WordPress MU? (15 posts)

1. benny148148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm planning on switching from WordPress to MU, but when I do this I'll need to switch hosting plans, since I'm currently just on a shared plan at GoDaddy (I know, don't get me started)...

I've been looking at Media Temple's Grid Server, and they list MU as being compatible for it, but I'd like to get your thoughts on other hosting ideas.

I'm pretty much open to anything, but I'm just a college student with limited funds, so I'd prefer a low-cost solution if possible. I'm very well aware that shared hosting is not an option for MU, but MT Grid Server seems promising for just $20/month.

I've searched these forums for threads about MT, but the topics are a year old and I don't know how much I should rely on them...

Any thoughts/suggestions on hosting plans?

2. xenon2050
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am using JetnetHost, and I love them. I have two sites hosted with them and they have been very helpful in getting my WPMU site up and running.

Some may say that their prices are high, but for the service they render they are downright cheap. The plan I'm on is the personal one at $8 USD a month and that includes a free domain at signup.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

It also depends on how large you plan your mu to be. Most of our mu installs are scattered within our shared hosting boxes but we keep our average boxes fairly low, about 200 clients a piece on dual intel 3.0's with HT and 12 gigs of memory.

Our one large install is on a pair of those servers but it runs about 30k blogs, over 1k blogs active.

Have to admit though that I normally suggest a VPS from the start but I suggest that usually so you can have total control over what you;re doing. A managed VPS would be best if you don;t have any experience with hosting or server management.

There's nothing really wrong with shared hosting (well, reselling hosting as technically that's what you're doing with mu) as long as the host is aware of what you;re doing as is willing to make the changes discussed in the readme file.

4. benny148148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

Has anybody had any positive/negative experience with Media Temple's Grid Server and MU installations?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Don't run MU on the grid server. Yes, it will install. Yes, it will run.

But when you throw more than a handful of few users at it, you will run into issues.

(mt)'s grid is a step between shared and vps. I'm sure you can find some vps solutions around for the same price range, even when you look out for specials. Or find a buddy to split the cost.

6. xenon2050
    Posted 15 years ago #

Shared hosting is not all bad. The problem is so many people expect a lot for very little. I did a lot of research before I picked Jetnethost and they seemed the best choice to me and I'm glad I picked them. They also have private servers and a premium server option... Sorry if I sound like I am shamelessly promoting them, I'm not related in anyway, I have just found them to be very very good.

7. benny148148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

Xenon, how many blogs do you host with shared hosting? I'm a bit weary of doing this, because I easily have the potential for a hundred or more blogs in a matter of days.

WPMUDev recommends Psek...does anybody have experience with this?

Otherwise, does anybody have any suggestions for WPMU compatible hosting for ~$30/month?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I use futurehosting.com. Check out their specials page.

9. xenon2050
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah ATM I don't host too many blogs, but like I said earlier they have a premium (actually called premier) hosting section where you aren't on a VPS but are on a server shared with far fewer people and it comes in at $25

I can see you being wary of shared hosting because many places don't deliver what they promise, but I have felt like Jetnethost doesn't have outlandish packages where you get everything for nothing, they have reasonable thought out plans and include money back guarantees... Anyway thats the last I'll say on the matter, I'm sure you've figured out my preference.. :)

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

There is the odd shared host that is okay. Usually these ones have higher packages they can and will bump you up to.

11. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just to throw this out, and please excuse me for hijacking this thread, but has anyone thought about grid/cloud hosting for mu outside of MediaTemple? Have to admit I was eying gogrid.com yesterday for a bit.

12. chowanec
    Posted 15 years ago #

I use futurehost.biz. It's a bit pricey, but it is totally worth it. Their response time on issues (big and small) is incredible and they were TOTALLY flexible with me when I had issues on my install. I wouldn't even consider another host. I think I pay around 50 bucks a month right now.

And there is that old addage: you get what you pay for.

-Chow

13. slambert1971
    Posted 15 years ago #

I can recommend Five Buck Host at http://www.fivebuckhost.com as they not only allowed me to run MU, they were willing to get me the SVN version, set up wildcard subdomains and everything else - and all for around $48 a year to get you started. It's a cPanel host so you also get access to a really nice file manager that allows you to do permission changes on files and folders when needed.

14. ebiladdress
    Posted 14 years ago #

Back on the GoDaddy and MU, I've got a step by step and some tips to setting up MU on Godaddy shared hosting. check out http://www.stablesystemsnow.org - they should be in the MU section. It does work, you just don't have sub domains, I've found only a few problems with it.

That being said, I am headed to a vps as things look, or at least a new provider as I have a half dozen mu sites running in production at this time.

15. ebiladdress
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just to update, I decided not to move to a vps but I did setup my own hosting operation.

MU is installed as the directions I stated above work, my hosting is at http://stableit.net if that helps you.

Eric

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by benny148148148
  • Latest reply from ebiladdress