The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Creating a blog network... (9 posts)

1. DannyM
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi all,
    I recently began using the WPMU latest edition. I'm trying to find a way to have 3 blogs on 3 different subdomains and on the main domain display posts from all 3 sub domains just as the posts are displayed on the front page of their respected subdomain.

All-in-all what I'm trying to do is, create a Blog Network for three different local sports teams, and have the main domain homepage, act as merging place for the 3 sub blogs to reside.

Is there a plugin for this or another solution?

Thanks,
    Danny

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Donncha's Site Wide Tags will do just that.

3. DannyM
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Klark,

I have installed this plugin, set the tags blog to enabled and checked off the post to main blog option.

I left the default settings for Max Posts and Privacy and followed the instructions inside the zipped file.

It still doesnt seem to be working, have you any advice?

Thanks,
    Danny

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

It picks up new posts, I don't think it goes and grabs old ones. So when existing posts are edited, it will find them too.

5. DannyM
    Posted 15 years ago #

oh ok great! Thanks for your help, so essentially, this plugin will create a concrete copy of the original post and store it in both the sub blog and the main blog?

So i can write a loop for the front page and display all blogs for the main site and everything will be included in their?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You can set it to populate the main blog instead of the tags blog.

7. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

so essentially, this plugin will create a concrete copy of the original post and store it in both the sub blog and the main blog?

Yeah it does that and a bit more. If the post is edited or deleted then the same thing happens on the main blog or the blog you specified. Also permalinks to the posts point to the sub-blog.

With the posts being copied to the main blog, you can use regular Wordpress function like the loop to display the posts, tags, etc anyway you want.

Mr.Brian had a little something that could bring in posts that were published before the plugin was installed. I can't find it now.

8. DannyM
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you kindly for all your help Klark and Andrea, it seems as though my permalinks are still pointing to the main blog unfortuntaely, I would like for them to poin to the sub blogs.

Thanks again,
    Danny

9. slambert1971
    Posted 15 years ago #

In installed Donncha's Site Wide Tags on my development system yesterday and also found a plugin at wpmudev.org that uses that information for a sidebar widget, but I can't think of it right now nor can I look it up while I am at work. It works great.

Now, if someone did know where that item was to populate the "tags" blog with older posts that would be great. I have imported a couple of older blogs to my new system and would love to archive those posts without going and "quick editing" 400+ posts.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by DannyM
  • Latest reply from slambert1971