The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Allowing users to author only one blog with muwp and LDAP plugin (7 posts)

1. alexmcknight@bg-group.com
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,

I have a muwp install (latest version WordPress MU 2.6.5) I have installed the LDAP (wpDirAuth 1.3) plugin. My install is on a company intranet with the look to allow selected users to have their own 'blogs'. The solution needs to be extensible and it appears muwp fits the bill nicely. We want to allow users to comment on posts (but must be traceable to who said what, hence the LDAP plugin)
    I have installed the 'pick_a_blog' plugin which should allow a user in the profile screen to change primary blogs but this doesnt seem to allow me to do so or work consistantly.

I am happy that its all working as expected now, setup with subfolders, themes seem to be ok so far, no new registrations(due to the ldap route) etc.

I have the root blog and a sub blog.

So, the problem:
    When a user wants to comment they have to login. This means the login screen, and they enter their company username and password which logs them in no problems...(root or sub)

However, the WP account that gets setup in the backend is attached to which ever blog they were commenting on first.

So should I want to make a user an Author of the sub blog after thay have logged in to comment on the root blog, I cannot find any option to change/add which blog is there primary blog so cannot change there privelidges from subscriber to Author. The user simply doesn not show in the sites user tab. (Although it allows them to comment ok)

After this when ever the user logs in they get automatically sent to the dashboard of the associated registration blog, not nessarily the one they were looking at before they logged in.

Is there a way to differentiate users/their roles between blogs?
    And how do I change which blog users can be the author/other role for?

Any suggestions / help would be greatly appreciated as i feel so close to getting what is required from this system.

2. techlover
    Posted 15 years ago #

To change their roles log into the specific blog's backend (/wpadmin/) and click users. Then click on the user you want to edit. Under the name section there is a section "Role". Edit it there.

3. @lex
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks techlover. The problem I had was no users showed up in the blogs backend 'user' area. as with the ldap plugin it was using the ldap user from the other blog and not creating on in each blog.
    I have found a solution though... Go to admin screen, click blogs. click edit on the blog you need ot add the user for.
    On the right hand side of the screen there is an add user option. the user needs to have an account on one of the blogs or sub blogs first. then add the user and save.
    When you go back to the admin>blogs screen the user now has 2 blog paths listed as attached to the useraccount. Then in each blog change the roles as normal.

4. slambert1971
    Posted 15 years ago #

We use WPDirAuth with our MU install and the best way to get a list of all users is to go to Site Admin -> Users. The regular "Users" tab will only show the users that are assigned to the active blog.

What would be nice is the ability to assign users to blogs from the "/wp-admin/wpmu-users.php" page. You can click on the users name in the list to edit the user, but there are no options to assign blogs on that page. I will have to look for / create a plugin for that.

5. anointed
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am also looking into using LDAP with wordpressmu.

Sysadmin is installing LDAP onto the server as I post this, so I hope to have it up and running by this evening.

I'm curious how it is working out for you.

Things I should be aware of?

And I'm really interested in how you are going to manage assigning users to blogs etc.

In my ignorance, I figured all that would automatically be taken care of when they click the 'create new blog' button. But it appears that is not the case from your post.

6. @lex
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok,the way to appoint a user to further blogs is as follow:

go to dashboard site admin
    click edit on the blog you want to add the user to
    on right hand side is an add user option
    add the required user
    click save
    you should now be able to administrate the user normally via the blogs own users option

7. allstonian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've got this setup with sub-domains:
    http://domain.name.com
    http://subblog1.domain.name.com
    http://subblog2.domain.name.com
    http://subblog3.domain.name.com
    http://subblog4.domain.name.com

i want to a add user to, say, subblog 3 only.

i've tried doing this from the admin panel on mainblog, as well as trying to invite using the admin panel on --subblog3.

the email that gets generated, which encourages them to click through, confirm their invite and login.

user clicks through and is presented with a "welcome, here's your credentials, blah blah"....however, the user is at the MAINBLOG.

i want the welcome, here's your creds to be on the sub-blog to which i intended to add them...

any thoughts?

cheers.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by alexmcknight@bg-group.com
  • Latest reply from allstonian