The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

upgrading a website from Wordpress to Wordpress MU (10 posts)

1. Bowler
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is it possible to do with no data loss?

Hi!

I'm going to be launching a website and would like to start with wordpress and then at a later date upgrade the site to offer members their own blog pages by installing wordpress MU on top on the the wordpress installation. Is this possible or do I really need to start with a limited wordpress MU website offering to then later go fully functional. I'd like to start with just the plain wordpress package as I've not used any wordpress programmes before so it would be a good place to start. I'll be running a forum plugin on the wordpress version and would like to transfer it (without data loss or loss of member details/acounts etc...) to the mother page of the eventual Wordpress MU powered/structured website.

Thanks for reading

if this is possible please let me know and if you know how that's be great.

Cheers

Bowler

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

To be honest I'd be tempted to start with WMPU to start off with and maybe something like bbpress for the forums although that probably depends on what you want to do with your forums.

Are you going to let everyone be a contributor to the single blog to start with and then offer them the ability to have their own blog.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I've not used any wordpress programmes before"

How much work & learning are you willing to do? How much time do you have? How quickly do you want the site up?

honestly, if you've never ever used WP before, I'd be tempted to just do the single-wp site and see how I got on with that first.

Yes, it's more hassle to change later, but MU has a learning curve - even for people who *know* WP.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I politely point you to the "Is Mu for me?" sticky at the top of the forums to back up Andrea's post. Many of the folks here have experience in hosting as well.

5. Bowler
    Posted 15 years ago #

FAO SteveAtty

yeah, the plan is to allow people to interact in a forum and then later offer the mambers their own representative blog pages... from looking at the responses I it sounds like it's a hassle to change from single WP to MU but as I'm low on time... final year at uni... it may be the only option... as long as it's possible it's all ok... after I finish my exams I'll have enough time to work on converting the site to MU... just looking for confirmation of it being a viable option... as it's the option that suits my present situation... I'd love to launch the site with full functionality (blog page offerings) but I think I don't have the time to make that happen till summer...as my learning curve as of Jan 2009 is starting from zero lol

thanks everyone for the posts it's all helpful... I'll have to find some way of having you check out the site and critique the hell out of it lol

Cheers

Jas

6. Bowler
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey thanks tdjcbe,

I had a read of the article and thanks again

I think I'll run with standard wordpress and when the time comes (demand/traffic depending = ad revenue reaping) I'll look to bring in someone that has more experience with running something like wordpress mu till I've got a handle on it myself

I'm guessing by that time there'll be easy ways of upgrading/transitioning...

Cheers

Jas aka Bowler

7. hhberthelsen
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Bowler There already *is* a way to upgrade from WP to WPMU - so you don't have to wait for that. Though some manual steps and db work, but it's surely doable.

8. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I could have sworn someone wrote a tutorial on how to do it.

I think our concern though was the statement that the poster made about never using wp before though.

9. hhberthelsen
    Posted 15 years ago #

Re tut: I've used this as relevant input: http://bavatuesdays.com/importing-a-single-wp-blog-to-a-wpmu-installation/

and off course: backup, backup, test, test, test before going live!

10. t3ch33
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi. I'd like to point out that you can keep your main site as a WordPress site and have WPMU installed in a separate directory. I've done this on a few sites.

About this Topic