The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can't run the installtion of WP-MU (10 posts)

1. Sumit1988
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey guys

Short and direct my error message:
    "No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance."

I'm no three days on reading posts over a lots of forums and i got no idea how to solve my problem.
    The message is displayed if i upload all WPMU files and will run the index.php / index-install.php

Notes:
    I createt NO WP-CONFIG.php and DID NOT EDIT the config-sample!
    I didn't edited anything of the files. My DB is not empty but cleaned up. But at the point where the error is shown, wpmu even don't know where my DB is so... thats not important i think.

I Uploaded the files again and again and checked the DB.
    i checked http://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_WPMU and the most infos there are related to this error message AFTER the install.
    I did read the readme over and over again!

I sadly dont know what exactly "shared hosting" is. So i didn't checked the Appache and DNS configs.

BUT!: I installed the german combo WPMU + Buddypress a few weeks ago. This works without any trouble. I deleted it and deleted the DB. But now i cant run install. Not WP-MU alone either German WP-MU + Buddypress. The only thing i remember that i changed since last install of WP-MU+Buddypress is, moving my Wordpress-Blog from a sub to the root directory.

Has this anything to do with it?

greets

Sumit

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"The only thing i remember that i changed since last install of WP-MU+Buddypress is, moving my Wordpress-Blog from a sub to the root directory.

Has this anything to do with it?"

Yes, that's it exactly.

3. Sumit1988
    Posted 15 years ago #

so? WP-MU can't be installed in a subdirectory if a WP Installation is in the root?
    If not, can i install it in a sub via Subdomain?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sure it can. you have to disable the root's wp-config file for the five mintues it'll take to install MU - or you can do a light hack in MU to stop it traveling up a dir and checking. (can't remember the line number)

5. Sumit1988
    Posted 15 years ago #

BIG THANKS. WP-MU installation was succesfull.
    But the image at the top of the install screen couldnt be displayed and if i click on "log in" at the finished install screen, i get an 500 Internal Server Error.

"Das Script konnte nicht verarbeitet werden. Die häufigste Ursache sind falsche Zugriffsrechte. Setzen Sie diese mittels CHMOD auf maximal 755 für Dateien und Verzeichnisse. Aktivieren Sie ggf. mod_rewrite und verwenden Sie keine Options in den .htaccess Dateien. Wenden Sie sich andernfalls an den Webhoster."

Means ~: Script doesnt work. Mostly is this caused by wrong CHMOD settings. Change CHMOD max. to 755 for Files and Directories. Activate mod_rewrite and do not use options in the htaccess Files.
    Otherwise contact the webhoster

Mod_rewrite is activated. CHMOD is @ 755

Any ideas?
    Or: What should i add in which file to get a detailed error message which will help you to help me?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Check the ownership of the folders (CHOWN)

7. Sumit1988
    Posted 15 years ago #

my FTP user name is entered in "owner / group"
    So i think i am the owner!

8. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

yes but does the user that the webserver uses have read access to all the files?

Is there anything in your php error file?

9. Sumit1988
    Posted 15 years ago #

hi there

i'm the user of the webserver and i have access to all Files in the root... i uploaded all of em (^^,)
    I used MANY scrits before and WP MU works a few weeks ago as i said.

php error file:

I'm sorry for being totally out of knowledge about that file. Where can i find it? Do i have to create it?

10. Sumit1988
    Posted 15 years ago #

sorry for doublepost. Edit - Button is gone:

Related to the error-log-thing

I found nice tutorials and are already talking to my webhoster to turn log_errors On.
    If i get that error log file working, i'll write down whats the matter.

Thanks to all, and see you soon *phew..*

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Sumit1988
  • Latest reply from Sumit1988