The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

User administration:how can blog administrators add users (13 posts)

1. joegoar
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have 3 blogs and several editors. 1 editor team lead exists and I added him as the blog administrator for each blog. I made the assumption without really looking into it that he would have access to that create new user button similar to what the site admin has from the site admin/admin page.
    this isn't so, though. I've looked throughout & am only able to find the add user from community section, but we are not planning on allowing self-registration.

I've looked around quite a bit for documentation on this as I'm sure I'm not getting the big picture here?

Any advice on where to find this or how to configure is appreciated. If plugin or other code changes are required, we do have developers who know this app, mainly from themes perspective.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

They have to be added via the site admin menu, then they can be added to the blog. make the guy in question a fellow site admin.

3. dhargraves
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is this still possible in WPMU 2.7? I've just upgraded and can no longer find a place to add users. I can't even find a place to activate registration so that they can sign up themselves.

I found these directions under Site Admin->Option:

"Allow blog administrators to add new users to their blog via the Users->Add New page."

This seems like it is the answer, except I see no "Add New."

Ideas anyone? What am I missing?

P.S. I have BuddyPress installed, not sure if that matters.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I have BuddyPress installed, not sure if that matters. "

It might. As I understand it, Andy and Donncha are still working out bugs between the newest code.

I'm running the beta and I see this:
    /wp-admin/wpmu-options.php#addnewusers

which is just hwat you mentioned and there is a yes and no radio buttosn right above it.

Check YES.

Then go to the Users menu (the regular one, not the one under Site Admin).
    /wp-admin/user-new.php

If it's not there, then BP is interfering.

5. dhargraves
    Posted 15 years ago #

If I go to /wp-admin/user-new.php I do see the Add User page. In other words, that sidebar link is gone, but the functionality is still there.

Here's a copy of the sidebar with the missing page link.
    http://media.bssd.org/media/temporary/wmpu_sidebar.png

Going to the BP forums to see if anyone over there has any ideas.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Look at the top menu. See where it says Users and there's a drop-down? Is it there?

Just re-confirming that I DO see it on the side. when it's disabled, there's a * next to it and the link redirects to the site admin option.

7. dhargraves
    Posted 15 years ago #

That Users button at the top takes you to /wp-admin/wpmu-users.php , which is part of SiteAdmin. This link allows me to add users to WPMU, but normal users won't be able to add users to their individual blogs.

We need access to /wp-admin/user-new.php in the side panel.

8. dhargraves
    Posted 15 years ago #

bringing the issue up at the BP forums

http://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1008

9. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Have to be honest, I am not sure what you are talking about. If the option is set in the WPMU -> Options to let blog admins add users, they do get the "Add New" submenu under the "Users" of their blog admin.

This is what happens with or without buddypress with the latest WPMU trunk for all my installs.

The * does come up beside it if the site-admin has not checked that box in the Site-Admin -> Options as it is only there for the site admin.

Trent

10. alunsina
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have BuddyPress and this is not a problem on mine (if I understand the concern correctly). Blog owners cannot add users if admin havent enabled that option. But if it is enabled, there's the Add New submenu on Users.

11. dhargraves
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have it checked, see here: http://media.bssd.org/media/temporary/wpmu_new_users.png

But I don't get that option to add new users, see here: http://media.bssd.org/media/temporary/wmpu_sidebar.png

12. joegoar
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r.
    The issue is security will not allow me to make that user a site admin. We're only allow to have 1 site admin.
    Is there a way to permit a blog administrator to create new users?
    If not, based on other's replying, is this capability available in v. 2.7?
    Since we've just launched, we're probably not going to upgrade real soon, so I'm tasked with putting a process in place to allow blog administrator's the ability to add/manage users. If nec., I'll have them put the request to me & I'll add them. That will initiate an email to the user & they should be set. Can you verify, though, that the blog administrator will have modify/delete/etc privileges over that account if its added to that blog admin's blog.

thanks...hope this reads ok/makes sense.
    Joe

13. dhargraves
    Posted 15 years ago #

Updated to buddypress beta2 and all is now good. I can see the "Users->Add New" now and can successfully add users to blogs.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by joegoar
  • Latest reply from dhargraves