The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Withholding selected subdomains from WP MU (4 posts)

1. mgreis
    Posted 15 years ago #

This may be more Apache and DNS than Mu, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I've successfully installed WP Mu on a domain, configuring it to use blogname.domain.net for blogs. This is on a GoDaddy Virtual Dedicated Server managed by Plesk, so although I have access to everything, I have to work within the context of the virtual host scheme. For example, I use a vhost.conf file which is called by the httpd.include file to customize Apache behavior.

I've included the following lines in that file:

Alias /wiki /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/httpdocs/w/index.php
    ServerAlias *.domain.net

Although I wasn't using the domain for any other web services, I am using mailman to run several mailing lists. The administrative access to mailman is at lists.domain.net, which of course now goes to WP Mu.

My question is this - what is the most straightforward way to exclude specific sub-domains from the blanket forwarding I created for WP Mu?

Thanks for any pointers anyone can provide....

2. mercime
    Posted 15 years ago #

Site Admin > Options -- Banned Names

3. mgreis
    Posted 15 years ago #

That doesn't seem to fix the problem. In fact, www, which was in that list by default, also redirects to http://domain.net and the WP mu software.

Can I assume from your response that they way I've customized Apache (with the Alias and ServerAlias directives) should work? If so, I'll look elsewhere - perhaps there's something in the DNS settings that's causing a problem?

Thanks!

4. mgreis
    Posted 15 years ago #

I haven't been able to solve this problem, but, as with an experiment that doesn't produce the desired results, perhaps someone can make use of what I have learned.

I was able to find where the coding for the mailman was on my "server" (a shared hosting virtual dedicated server) I experimented with replicating the ServerAlias directive to a configuration file (vhost.conf) used for local customization. I found out enough to be reasonably certain that - both for the mailman and for a web statistics program - they were not getting either misdirected to or trapped by WordPress mu, and that Apache was resolving and sending them where they belonged.

So, even though I have mu configured to respond globally to blognames as subdomains, it responds appropriately to a subdirectory that has been ServerAlias'ed:

blogname.domain.net -> mu blog "blogname"
    domain.net -> mu "default" blog
    notablogname.domain.net -> mu "default" blog

blogname.domain.net/webstat -> webstat display
    domain.net/webstat -> webstat display
    notablogname.domain.net -> webstat display

I still have no idea why the mailman program reports a misconfiguration. I looked at the logs and don't see anything wrong, but that's not a problem for this forum. Fortunately, I have other domains on this server so I moved the list.

it does respond properly to;

About this Topic