The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU becomes blank screen after installing plugin (9 posts)

1. jfcarter
    Posted 15 years ago #

I installed WPMU and it seemed to work fine. Then I added in the plugin buddypress and now when I try to load the site, I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() in html/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 920

I successfully loaded WPMU and buddypress before and deactivated it by mistake. So I deleted all the files and did a complete reinstall.

How can I get rid of this error so I can see my site?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Delete the buddypress plugin.

Then if you reinstall it, make sure you have the right version and place the files in the right spots.

3. jfcarter
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r,

I did this and placed all the files correctly. It worked the first time, but after I deactivated it and then reinstalled it, nothing works right.

I have removed and reinstalled the buddypress plugin a few times--it's just not working.

I need an answer more specifically related to the error I'm receiving

4. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

You are putting the plugins for buddypress in the /mu-plugins/ folder and not the /plugins/ folder right?

5. Bill008
    Posted 15 years ago #

I guess not

6. jfcarter
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Trent @Bill008,

Yes, the buddypress plugins are in the proper location. WPMU seems to work fine, but once I add the files to the mu-plugins folder, the screen goes blank and I get the error noted above. If I remove the files from mu-plugins then I can see my WPMU login screen again.

I have heard (on other forums) that it is plugin-related, but I need more information to get to the heart of the issue.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

The blank screen means there's an error. Every time there's an error, MU throws it up. We call it the WSOD.

Check the error logs on your server. There will be some generated in the mu folders, and if you're on cpanel there's one there too.

8. jfcarter
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r,

I know there's an error: I posted it in my initial post. I've requested the apache logs from my webhost. Will check the mu folders to see if there's anything there--so far, nothing.

9. keithllc
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have the same problem but only when I try to install a plugin related to managing links. It has happened with 4 different plugins. WP-Backlinks was the latest. This is the error I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() in html/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 920

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by jfcarter
  • Latest reply from keithllc