The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

I don't wanna subscribe for a plugin!!! (13 posts)

1. alex.rogahn
    Posted 15 years ago #

So I've been looking for a way to allow users to upgrade their service and stumbled on this: http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/supporter It did everything I wanted it to and I went to click download... aaaaand I have to pay for a monthly subscription to wpmudev. Now I can handle buying a plugin for a small fee or just simply donating, but no, I have to pay at least $50 for this one plugin I would like? So I have one simple request. Is there a close to identical plugin to this or is there a way to get it free (or for a slightly less ripoffy price?)

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

The answer is simple - yes, you *should* be willing to pay.

Why? You're creating a project, most likely a commercial one. You'll ba paid for it by your client or you'll profit from it if the project is yours.

In order to GET something you have to INVEST something. And you can either invest your time and efforts creating something from scratch or invest $$$.

Isn't this fair?

3. alex.rogahn
    Posted 15 years ago #

I sent them an email asking if I can buy the plugin as a standalone, that seems reasonable? no? My point is I don't think I should have to pay a subscription to have access to one plugin I need/want and then a bunch of others I couldn't give a monkeys about for a month.

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, these are 'game rules', you know ;)
    I need a car to drive 100 miles - then why do I have to pay $10k to get this car? I only need it to go 100 miles... :))

5. alex.rogahn
    Posted 15 years ago #

True... Oh well I'll see how my request goes and if not then I'll purchase the subscription, I suppose I could make use with some of the other stuff there too...

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm sure you'll make some good use :) They have great stuff over there.

7. anointed
    Posted 15 years ago #

That particular plugin is very high on my list of 'required' addons for my site and I am happy that someone has already built it.

One way to look at it, is how much do you think it would cost you to have developed? $50 - you would not even get a response back, try $$ to $$$.

While I have yet to purchase their subscription, waiting for new video's for 2.7 first, I can guarantee that I will become a member there as their work is top notch, and they are offering products that would cost me thousands to have custom developed.

8. benny148148
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm sorry, but I can't help myself... http://www.alexrogahn.com/services/

You charge $50/hour, but you aren't willing to pay $50 for a month of service, and the ability to download every plugin they've created?

I find that ironic.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's pretty funny.

10. alex.rogahn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well truth be told I haven't had a client in a while, and with the economic crisis getting worse I'm screwed >_< Plus I just bought it :|

11. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Maybe decreasing your prices will help you get some clients?
    Well, from economical point of view, you may get 1 client in 3 months at your $50/hr fee, or you may get 10 clients in the same 3 months if you charge for example $30/hr.
    Depends, you know :)

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Maybe one of these would be a way for you to go:

http://wpmu.org/want-to-join-edublogs-as-a-sysadmin/

http://incsub.com/work-incsub/

Both of those sites are tied into the Premium folks.

13. thehermitvi
    Posted 15 years ago #

There is a key element that has been missed in this post.

That is upgrades and support.

I don't even have my MU site working yet and I signed up for a year at premium.

Why?

Because I can't write that plugin so if an update of MU makes it not work right where do I turn?

The Supporter plugin will pay for itself shortly (If I can get my site runniing right :) ) and having the other plugins themes and support is well worth the money if you are running a business.

I look at the fee as a retainer for the programmer.

At least that is my opinion

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by alex.rogahn
  • Latest reply from thehermitvi