The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Facebook Connect Plugin from sociable.es (15 posts)

1. lostdeviant
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd like to use this plugin in MU 2.7 but it isn't compatible. Once activated I'm unable to login to wordpress MU (the login screen just refreshes/redirects back to itsself).

I've spent the last two days looking for information on making a plugin compatible and for information on how to set MUs cookies and haven't found either

The codex page for the login function I see in the script is empty so I don't know how it should be called properly and if that is enough.

I already contacted the plugin maker and was told that "in the future" it would be updated so no help there.

FYI, The other facebook connect plugins don't work either.

2. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

This plugin sucks for Mu.

It would be better to build something from the ground up. As it is it wouldn't scale very well.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

4. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for the tip andrea.

5. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

This option is interesting but doesn't it make more sense to put the facebook api key data etc in the site_meta table once rather than putting it in every single blogs options table?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, but it's a start. :D

7. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you're logged into facebook you automatically get logged in to the wordpress blog when you arrive.

Is this good or bad?

8. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you're logged into facebook you automatically get logged in to the wordpress blog when you arrive.

I'd better not have such a 'feature' on my systems...

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Personally, I think it's bad and I stay away from FB with a 20 foot pole.

But some people want to know. *shrug*

(Hey, I can't stand their TOS, but people still sign up in droves...)

10. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

Why specifically is it bad?

One of the main benefits of facebook users signing up is that facebook has already vetted those people and they're much less likely to spam when you have a genuine profile with their photo.

11. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Facebook's TOS is about as bad as Google's, but I bet you're still googlin'

12. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I don't want to get into it, but FB, in comparison with the top social sites out there, has the *worst* TOS.

Did you hear about the recent kerfluffle? Yeah, they changed it back to what they had *which was still bad*.

Specifically the part where they say they can do whatever they want with your content, and *they* hold the rights to it. Sorry, my content is mine even if it appears over half the internet. It's still mine.

13. gpo1
    Posted 15 years ago #

But Facebook has joined openID, that means one day most sites will use Openid to sign-up ?

14. ndengler
    Posted 14 years ago #

has anyone been able to finally make sociable.es run on a wordpress mu installation?
    If not, what are the main issues to solve?

15. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 14 years ago #

Does anyone want to combine funds and get a FB web person to either create one from scratch or utilize sociable.es

I am willing to go down if others are with me. I don't know how much money I have and who I can find that would take this on:(

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by lostdeviant
  • Latest reply from redsoxmaniac