The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Spawn_Pinger Error (14 posts)

1. gumpy
    Posted 17 years ago #

After installing WPMU to my site I had to manually change the password (via phpmyadmin) for my admin login as I was never sent the password via email.

(I created a new blog and was successfully sent an email from this new blog, just never sent an email from my initial installation!?)

Anyhow, after successfully logging in to admin I navigated to the Site Admin page and received the following error...

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: spawn_pinger() in /home/secre8/public_html/wp-inst/wp-admin/admin-footer.php on line 13

Any help?

2. gumpy
    Posted 17 years ago #

When I navigate to the Site Admin -> Users section I noticed that the email address for admin is some weird collection of letters and numbers.

Could this be the reason why I never received an email on my initial installation?

3. gumpy
    Posted 17 years ago #

When I tried to edit the email address in the Users section after entering my email address and clicking on Update Profile I received the following error:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/secre8/public_html/wp-inst/wp-admin/profile-update.php on line 13

When I click back and refresh my profile the email address is saved.

4. gumpy
    Posted 17 years ago #

When I navigate to the Links page I receive the following error at the bottom of the page...

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: is_backup_queue_full() in /home/secre8/public_html/wp-inst/wp-admin/link-manager.php on line 194

5. gumpy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Even though I "thought" I successfully changed my email address with the above User -> Profile change it seems that under the Options -> General tab under "E-mail address" the old collection of numbers and letters still exists as my email address.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sounds like you're missing a number of files from the install. I always suggest uploading the compressed file and then uncompressing it on the server instead of doing the "upzip first and upload each file one at a time" most system admins like doing.

7. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

The same things are happening to me and I took all the files from SVN. I deleted all the old files except for some themes in wp-content. I deleted the three standard themes and then uploaded the new versions of everything from the SVN trunk. I got exactly the same behavior: admin e-mail is random string, spawn_ping error on admin pages, other errors when trying to update options. All of this is under the standard theme. I think some things are broken. It may be the way DreamHost has PHP/MySQL/Apache configured.

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, I could have sworn that the SVN had the top level files. At least that's what I saw when I looked at it. I know others got modified in the last release.

9. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wiped everything including the DB and all existing wpmu files. Uploaded files from Rev 548 trunk and visited the site. Completed the setup and checked DB. Admin e-mail is some random string. So there is something wrong with the 548 rev. Fixed the admin e-mail and reset password. Logged in and got spawn_pinger error in footer.

10. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Same problem here. Did what kahless did but didn't get an error in the footer. In which footer did you get the error kahless?

I got this when changing the random admin password to my own password.
    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/home/blogtopi/public_html/wp-inst/wp-admin/user-edit.php on line 74

But password is changed.

11. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

I changed the password in PHPMyAdmin so didn't get your error. Here are errors I get when logged in as admin

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: spawn_pinger() in /path/wp-inst/wp-admin/admin-footer.php on line 13

Trying to limit e-mail registration
    Fatal error: Cannot redeclare wpmu_delete_blog() (previously declared in /path/wp-inst/wp-admin/wpmu-edit.php:6) in /path/wp-inst/wp-admin/admin-db.php on line 530

Trying to upgrade gives errors due to configuration on DreamHost and problem with snoopy class.

Creating a new category gives
    Fatal error: Cannot redeclare wpmu_delete_blog() (previously declared in /path/wp-inst/wp-admin/wpmu-edit.php:6) in /path/wp-inst/wp-admin/admin-db.php on line 530
    when it does live searching.

12. spiff06
    Posted 17 years ago #

+1 on all counts:

1. Installed wpmu in a subdomain (blog.domain.com), setting subfolders as preferred blog path (blog.domain.com/myblog).

2. Entered all the db info, wpmu didn't complain, told me to give the blog a name and an email address. No complaint either, but I didn't receive an email.

3. Checked the database, overwrote the password MD5 to at least be able to log in. Email address appears garbled.

4. Logged into the admin area, noticed the following error at the bottom of every page: "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: spawn_pinger() in /home/yipee/public_html/blogs/wp-inst/wp-admin/admin-footer.php on line 13".

5. Tried to update my account parameters (first and last name, email address). Wham: "Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/yipee/public_html/blogs/wp-inst/wp-admin/profile-update.php on line 13". Yet the changes appear to have been written to db...

This is a tad too many issues for me. I read here that, as of today, release 542 appears the most "stable".

However, it appears 542 wants to force blogs into subdomains rather than subfolders...

Is there a roadmap for this project? How soon can we expect a beta?

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

1) I'm iffy on this as the instructions state not to install into a subdomain. subfolder support is very much lacking as well.

2-3) The current release is putting in the address as MD5 into the password space and the password in plain text into the email adress. It's a known issue.

4) Not a clue on this one but it's been discussed quite a lot around here. You may want to chekc some of the other threads for it.

5) Here's a thread that gives the solution for it.

Subdomains is really the way the software is written. Subfolder support is rather lacking. (I gave up on my install of it when my host protested on changing the DNS for me)

14. spiff06
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks drmike.

Regarding #2 & #5, it seems a simple enough thing to fix. What's preventing it from being boldly and decisively swatted?

Regarding #1, if I get a fit of madness and spend a couple of days making subfolders work in a subdomain and documenting it a little, is there any way that these contributions might make it into the nightlies? Is the forum the best way to contribute (gasp), or is there a BugZilla somewhere?

About this Topic