The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Subdomain to Subdirectory (6 posts)

1. Shane G
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,

I have setup one wordpress MU for my domain with subdomain. Now, I need to move my blog to from sub domain to sub directory. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Shane G.

2. grandslambert
    Posted 15 years ago #

This question has been asked here MANY MANY MANY MANY times, and the answer is always the same - you have to reinstall. I don't think there is any way to change it otherwise. I have tried just removing my .htaccess and wp-config.php file and reinstalling, but then you can't get to the dashboard. If anyone else has a solution, PLEASE post it because this is asked just about every other day.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

There is but it falls under the "Would cause so many redirects and server processor usage, it'll get you booted from 99% of the hosts out there" response.

We tried doing it as a htaccess redirect and got nothing but errors. We also tried exporting out the db, doing search and replaces, reinstalling the db, editing wp-config.php and couldn't even get the site to start again.

Only real option is the reinstall. If you;re getting pressure from your host about the DNS wildcards, moving to another host would be a good idea. If they have an issue with wildcards, there going to have a bigger issue with the load that you will generate.

4. adamwulf
    Posted 14 years ago #

found this post as i was searching for a solution myself. i ended up posting a walkthrough of how i did it on my blog.

http://welcome.totheinter.net/2009/05/06/changing-wordpress-mu-from-subdomains-to-subdirectories/

cheers

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

for one blog or a tiny number, yes you can do it without a reinstall. :)

Sometimes n00bs pick the wrong option on setup, don't have anything else in the install, and it;s just "easier" to do a rerun.

Switching from one format to another with a large number of blogs though? Gonna need a script.

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sometimes n00bs pick the wrong option on setup,

Or the client changes their mind after the install and setup.

*sigh*

About this Topic