The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Issue installing MU in a sub domain (8 posts)

1. skateface
    Posted 15 years ago #

I currently have MU up in running perfectly in the root directory (www.root.com). But, what I want to do is install a second installation in a separate directory (folder/sub domain). The reason being is that I want to mimic the live site in a development environment (dev.root.com). Problem is, when I do the new installation and then try and run setup, it just keeps forwarding me to the live site. I have made sure that their is no .htaccess file or config messing this up. I've tried several times to get this working to no avail. Has anyone done this before? Have any suggestions?

2. lutfiallail
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have same problem with you, but still no clue.

3. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hmmm... What are you entering in the installation form?
    I've done this a few times (in fact I have a sub-domain installation of the latest version specifically for testing) without any problem.

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are you running in subdomain or subdirectory mode?

Why not just get a separate domain and put it in a parallel directory?

5. skateface
    Posted 15 years ago #

#cafespain- I don't get an opportunity to enter anything in the installation form. It just forwards over to my live site.

#SteveAtty- I think that would be the easiest solution, to just get a new domain. I'm trying to set the dev site up as dev.domain.com. I guess that would be a subdomain.

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Subdomain would be blog1.domain blog2.domain etc. So unless you went to another level of DNS i.e. blog1.live.domain blog2.live.domain and blog1.dev.domain and blog2.dev.domain its going to get very messy and I think that the cost of a second domain would be worth avoiding problems

7. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

You have to created the sub domain in your control panel (so it has it's own directory) and ensure that the sub-domain entry is above the wildcard entry in your apache configuration (if you have control over that).

Then test to see if you can access the new subdomain before you put anything in it. Once you are confident that your webserver is send the traffic to the correct place. Upload the mu code and you should be able to install.

8. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

Try this: Logout, clear cookies or use another browser.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by skateface
  • Latest reply from pumpkinpatch