The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Running WordPress 2.0.1, want to upgrade to WordPress MU. How to? (5 posts)

1. keith021773
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey all. As the title says I am running wordpress 2.0 and I really want to upgrade it to WordPress MU so I have have multiple users doing their own blog. Right now I just let everyone have their own catagory. Could I upgrade or do I have to do a fresh install of MU, and if I did that, how do I pull the users blogs over into MU.. LOL Alot of work, huh?

Thanks in advance..

Keith

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

- Do a fresh install of MU (I would not use the latest version as it appears to have a couple of issues. You can get them from here. I would use one from the middle of April)

- Create a new blog for yourself.

- Run the importer from your old site to your new one. (There's nearly a dozen different importers)

3. keith021773
    Posted 17 years ago #

Great! One last question. If I do the fresh install and import all of the posts over from WP 2.0.1, can I then move MU over to my old blog directory?

The reason I'm asking is because I am setup with several blog sites and I would like all URLs to stay the same. Does this make since?

Thanks.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

MU does into a root directory, not a subdirectory. That way new blogs can either become their own subdomain (ie newblog.mydomain.com) or a subdirectory (ie mydomain.com/newblog)

Now a blog is installed to come off of the root domain. You can see this at my install if you look at the Recent posts list. It doesn't drop that into a subdirectory though.

You could probably comeup with a htaccess redirect or even a redirect with your Hosting Panel (ie CPanel, Ensim) but that you would need to discuss with your host as it depends on their setup.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

5. kjarrett
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks guys. Any tips as to which importers work best?

-kj-

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by keith021773
  • Latest reply from kjarrett