The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Default widgets that users cannot remove (6 posts)

1. timmy77
    Posted 15 years ago #

I found several plugins that enable you to set defaults for new blogs. (I haven't tried any yet).

Is there a plugin of those that enables you to make certain widgets default and sticky for all blogs, and lets you arrange the display order of widgets?

There are some widgets in the sidebars that I don't want any user to mess with or remove.. I want those widgets in a certain order and want them absolutly unremovable by users.

And if there is no plugin for that, is there a way?

2. torre
    Posted 15 years ago #

i think you should try to put the code of the permanent widgets direct to the theme

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I want those widgets in a certain order and want them absolutely unremovable by users."

Then don't use widgets. Hardcode the sidebar the way you want and make it unwidgetized. They can't edit the theme, they can't move it around.

Widgets are for moving the elements around. A static sidebar is... well, static, and what you're looking for.

4. Argentum
    Posted 14 years ago #

I agree. This would be a nice addition. It could be an executable option at blog creation.

We are probably going to use Wordpress MU for a multi blog for old people where we have to create every blog manually. The people that are going to write, can barely use word. :) Not all blog writers are computer proficient enough to draw widgets around.

A setting for a default theme for news blogs
    and a configurable default widget set.
    Would be great!

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Again, if you're only giving them one theme to choose from, edit the sidebar to show whatever you like. that's basic Wordpress themeing.

6. RobertGrinde
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, that is not so easy if you have over ~200 themes. There would be great to have a feature that would let the admin stick a widget in a chosen location. Example: Stick the text/html widget as nr. 2 from the top, sidebar 1 on all blogs. Text/html is of course only possible to modify by the admin and can be set to a default on all blogs.

It should work with any widget, I am sure that I am not the only one that would pay good money for such a feature :-)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by timmy77
  • Latest reply from RobertGrinde