The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

What if I delete the tables? (9 posts)

1. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am still having a problem with the category slugs. They are all messed up now. what I am wondering is what happens if i delete all of the taxonomy table, and the sitecategories table from my WPMU database in PHPMyAdmin.

Will they just get recreated once I create the first category? OR Will it totally mess everything up?

Thanks for any help.

2. DeannaS
    Posted 15 years ago #

Totally mess everything up. It only creates those tables on install.

3. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

What if I renamed all 9 taxonomy tables that are currently created. Then created a new blog which would have a fresh table. Then finally copy that table into all 9 blogdir folders with the appropriate names?

4. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

I took the next step actually. I uninstalled MU entirely and then reinstalled and then recreated all the content.

5. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

What would have been easier would to have just "truncated" the 3 taxonomy related tables to remove the data. Deanna just meant that you shouldn't delete the tables themselves.

6. worldblogosphere
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi MrBrian,

Well I did try truncating them first. I think I see why that didn't work though. There were 3? I truncated the table for each blog, and the sitecategories table. I didn't realize there was a third.

What is it for future reference, or for any one who might want to do the same?

Thanks again for trying to help.

7. eworque
    Posted 14 years ago #

don't delete the tables, in the myphpadmin, find wp_terms table and delete the data in it. This table contains all the categories and slugs including the unused slugs. By doing this, all your categories will be deleted so you'll need to create all new categories for your blog from the WP-admin page.

8. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

Noooo, don't do that. If you are going to remove the content from the wp_terms table, then you need to remove it from the related tables as well, or you are going to have very unpredictable results.

You need to remove content from
    wp_x_terms
    wp_x_term_taxonomy
    wp_x_term_relationships

9. eworque
    Posted 14 years ago #

forgive me for the previous post.. I did made a mistake. Editing the wp_terms tables requires a really thorough analysis. Make sure you know every connections of terms in table wp_terms, taxonomy and relationships(as told by cafespain). I did made a mistake by deleting all content in wp_terms so I had to recreate every terms and relationships. Quite a messy job. If you do want to customize your category slugs, make sure you have some papers to list the terms you want to change and their relationships and make sure you understand what you're doing.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by worldblogosphere
  • Latest reply from eworque