The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

error loading admin page only when installing for /blog1 (5 posts)

1. backyardpolitics
    Posted 15 years ago #

I uploaded everything for WordPress MU, ran the install, everything worked fine, and then realized i wanted blogs to be of the form example.com/blog1 vs blog1.example.com

I deleted the entire upload (more than i needed to i know) as well as emptied the database. After reuploading and installing MU, everything worked fine until I tried to log in to the admin page. It sent me back a message saying the redirect to the dashboard was an infinite loop. The main blog still worked fine and showed me as logged in.

I deleted wp-config and reran the installation, this time setting it to blog1.example.com and once again i can access the dashboard.

What am I not deleting that I can't reset MU to create blogs like example.com/blog1 ?

some people have had trouble with wp-config from wordpress.org interfering, i dont believe that is the issue considering it works with blog1.example.com, also my wp-config for my wordpress.org blog is three folders up (subdomain, home, wordpress blog).

As far as I can tell it seems to me my server must be caching certain aspects of my install, what should I do?

and another question, are example.com/blog1 blogs still considered subdomains or are they simply folders?

2. backyardpolitics
    Posted 15 years ago #

anyone on this issue?

3. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

How far down your server tree is your WPMU install?

WPMU if running in subdirectory mode really should be installed in the site root. Actually really it should always be installed in the site root but in subdomain mode you can run it one level down.

If you don't know the difference between subdirectory and subdomain installs then it might be wise to back away from the product right now.

We do seem to be getting a lot of people shoe-horning so many things onto their websites. No problems if you are going to run virtual hosts as long as you plan the use of subdirectories and subdomains in advance but a complete pain to implement if you've already got things set up.

4. VivianV
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,

I have a similar problem, when I navigate into admin panel with firefox, the page does not load correctly. I also installed the blog on localhost adn uploaded after and it gives to me the same problem. I am using wordpress 2.8.3. and is installed into a "blog" directory from my root.
    When I use Internet Explorer the admin page is loading almost correct but at bottom of the page it says done but with error on page. Also, the edit menu from inside the new post page is mising and I cannot acces view or html buttons.
    I am using a free GoDaddy.com hosting wich inserts a baner in the header of the mainpage. I suspect that this might be a problem to.

Thanks
    V

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I am using a free GoDaddy.com hosting wich inserts a baner in the header of the mainpage. I suspect that this might be a problem to."

It is. They only allow WPMU on certain account levels.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by backyardpolitics
  • Latest reply from andrea_r