The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Blog does not show up (15 posts)

1. weblogian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am told by my host server that the DNS record is enable.
    I got no problem in installation and creating blog and activating the blog. But the blog does not show up. it leads to some Cpanel and Apache default page.

Here is the blog: http://weblogian.blogcastor.com/

Can anyone tell me what;s the problem and what do I need to do? Please help me out.

Thanking you in advance.

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Wildcard DNS are OK, but ServerAlias is not.
    Show the WPMU readme (especially section about Apache) to your hoster's support.

BTW, are you on a dedicated server?

3. weblogian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks a lot for the reply.
    I am on dedicated server ( I think so)
    So it's Server Alias issues

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, check readme file for proper ServerAlias setting.

5. rdmedley
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have a wildcard prob.
    New blogs keep point to main blog. I'm using IIS for a client and I have everything working great other than adding new blogs. For example.

mydomain.com = Main Blog Site
    whatever.mydomain.com = Main Blog Site

Does not place new blog as it's own with wild card.

Normal standard for me would have been a linux install but this is for a client and IIS stinks! I've had a ton of hoops to go through from the hole dang install. Works nicely though other than sub domains.

Any idea's Gentelmen?

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/Q_24079651.html

Scroll to the ve-e-e-ry bottom :)
    Tried this solution?

7. rdmedley
    Posted 15 years ago #

VentureMaker

Nothing at the bottom and I ain't giving my CC# :)

8. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

You need to search for help on DNS wildcards for IIS. As WPMU is really designed for apache (although it does work with IIS with the additional purchase of a url rewrite module) getting support for fixing IIS problems might not be as good as it is for everything else. Also it might be worth considering putting your problem on its own thread rather than tacking it onto the end of this one as although they do seem similar they are totally different because of your webserver.

9. dfobare
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've got a similar problem. Installation was a breeze, and at first I thought my first new blog installed - on a subdomain - went fine too. But no files were actually installed to subdomain.mydomain.net. None at all. Here is the domain: howitsdone.net

and the first subdomain: saveyourmarriage.howitsdone.net.

I figure I missed something easy.

10. rdmedley
    Posted 15 years ago #

SteveAtty

ummmm....you have a problem with my question in this thread. Well point me to the
    "Amazing Wordpress and Windows 2003 Fix it all and Here's How it Works" thread and I will gladly go there. Or at least I suppose I could start one. For the fact I WILL make this work on a frick'n Windows box no matter what it takes.

Very Frustrating my friend but if no one else will sort this out for the Windows folks, I will. I feel a application such as this should run on both platforms.

At least I am brave enough to attempt this for a client on Windows 2003 Server. I have been playing with REAL UNIX since 19?? I won't say...unlike the wonderful flavors we have now. Which I preffer Redhat myself :) was and owned a medium sized Internet company manageing over thirty servers for a decade. I hate the belittling I hear in these forums when people like me ARE the ones who pioneered it all for you. It's like have some respect dude.

I guess the last comment in your post kinda pissed me off :)

Once I have this dialed in I will be able to truly say I am a God of both platforms. Challenge?

You wanna talk big, let's go GURU. ;)

11. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nothing at the bottom and I ain't giving my CC# :)

Strange, I saw a reply there...

rdmedley, how far are you now with solving your problem?
    I'm not a big Windows fan, but the whole challenge sounds interesting for me ;)

12. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually, there are plenty of people who have got it going on windows servers... just sayin'. (no not me, gave up windows... ;) )

"But no files were actually installed to subdomain.mydomain.net. None at all."

And there won't be. They are *virtual*. You missed a couple steps.

13. rdmedley
    Posted 15 years ago #

VetureMaker,

I am saving all my trial and error data and will make a installation just for Windows users.

I'm real close.

Thankyou for your replys.

14. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Rmedley - the reason I suggested posting it on a separate thread was that as you are running on IIS and not Apache it would make sense to keep them separate.

As WPMU needs to re-write URLs its written to use apache which comes with rewriting as part of the webserver and not as a purchasable add on. Yes people have got it working with IIS, I never said they hadn't but putting your IIS question on the end of an apache thread is less likely to get the right people working on it.

There is no need to get personal and make sarcastic belittling comments about people and how long you've been in IT and how "You" pioneered it for "the rest of us".

And no, I'm not going to rise to any challenge from you, because that is not why I'm here.

15. rdmedley
    Posted 15 years ago #

SteveAtty:

sniffle...sniffle...put'm up. Kidding:)

I'm here for good reason to guy. Just got back on this. have been busy working on a WiFi project.

Gonna find the right thread. Seeyas.

Robert

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by weblogian
  • Latest reply from rdmedley