The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Separate WMPU files directory (5 posts)

1. calrockx
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,
    I searched on this issue but couldn't seem to find a definitive answer.

I'm wondering if it's possible to install WP Mu to a subdomain (wpmu.example.com) or subdomain (example.com/wpmu) and have the homepage (example.com) be as if I installed it in the root, and still go to example.com/blog for a full blog view.

That is have the homepage at example.com have recent blog snippets/static content, but have the /blog/ sub directory have all the full blogs.

I'd simply like to keep the root directory as clutter free as possible.

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd simply like to keep the root directory as clutter free as possible.

Installing WPMU in root dir does not really clutter it :)
    Also, if you install WPMU in subdomain wpmu.example.com - users blogs will look like wpmu.example.com/userblog in (subdir mode). Are you sure you want this?

3. calrockx
    Posted 15 years ago #

I guess I'm assuming it's like a regular Wordpress install, with a bunch of folders.

I'm using this for myself, so only one user. But I'd like two different blogs.

So ideally, the path for each would be in a format like:
    example.com/blog1
    example.com/blog 2

And if you go to example.com/ you'd see recent post snippets from each blog.

So are you saying if I install to wpmu.examplecom, I couldn't do this?

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

And if you go to example.com/ you'd see recent post snippets from each blog.

Use recent posts plugin on main blog.

So are you saying if I install to wpmu.examplecom, I couldn't do this?

If you install WPMU in wpmu.example.com your blogs will look like wpmu.example.com/blog1

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I'd simply like to keep the root directory as clutter free as possible. "

Just mind-reading here, but with MU, install it in the root. The blogs DO NOT create more directories, they only live in the database.

If you knew that already, sorry. :)

If you didn't - well, your root folder isn't going to get any more cluttered than the default files.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by calrockx
  • Latest reply from andrea_r