The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WP vs WPMU (4 posts)

1. skeeterd101
    Posted 15 years ago #

I hope this is posted in the correct area. If not feel free to let me know or move it.

I have several Domains/Sites that use WordPress single install. Each has its own Core, Themes, Plugins and MySql Database.
    Is it possible or suggested that WPMU could be used instead of multi copies of WP?
    I feel its a waste to have multi copies of WP, themes and plugins. Each Site has its own specific Domain Name. ie: Domain1 Domain2 Domain3 Domain4 Domain5. All domains are on the same server.

Thanks In Advance

2. Frumph
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes WPMU could be advantageous for you to use.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

... and you'll need the domain mapping plugin...

4. dsalon
    Posted 15 years ago #

if you have lets say about 20 to 100 domains / blogs and if you are not interested in the wpmu admin management funcions it may be that you will like to setup a single wp 2.7 installation and modify your wp-config.php as follows

search for the line

$table_prefix = 'wp_'

replace this line according to your needs ->

Method 1: one domain, multiple subdomains

1. $arrPrefix = explode( ".", $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"] );
    2. $table_prefix = $arrPrefix[0].'_';

$arrPrefix = explode( ".", $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"] ); $table_prefix = $arrPrefix[0].'_';

Method 2: multiple domains (one blog per domain)

2. $table_prefix = $arrPrefix[( count( $arrPrefix ) - 2 )].'_';

$arrPrefix = explode( ".", $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"] ); $table_prefix = $arrPrefix[( count( $arrPrefix ) - 2 )].'_';

Method 3: multiple Domains each having multiple subdomains

2. $table_prefix = implode( "_", $arrPrefix ).'_';

$arrPrefix = explode( ".", $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"] ); $table_prefix = implode( "_", $arrPrefix ).'_';

Method 4: multiple domains, subdomains, identical domain names having different .tlds including a fix for "-"

1. $table_prefix = str_replace( array( ".", "-" ), "_", $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"] )."_";

You will have to setup the domains in the apache configuration as follows:

ServerName domain.tld
    ServerAlias *.domain.tld
    DocumentRoot /home/htdocs/blog

as for the subdomains you also can extend the above multiple blog / domains via simple switch/case - routines....

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by skeeterd101
  • Latest reply from dsalon