The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

"Create Configuration File" loop? (9 posts)

1. seobrien
    Posted 15 years ago #

So, I can't get past
    "There doesn't seem to be a wp-config.php file. I need this before we can get started."

When I try to create, the page just refreshes. I've had my host take a look and they tell me they are set up so that I don't need to be (can't?) set to 777 and that I need to manually create the wp-config.php.

"We run SuPHP which operates under your accounts userid on the server. This elimiates the need for any 777 or world writeable permissions. If these permissions are set at that, it will throw that internal server error. You will need to follow the documentation on creating that wp-config.php manually."

If I set to 777, I get 500 errors.

I'm installing to the root domain. Nothing else installed (i.e. Wordpress). I have a wildcard subdomain set up.

I have tried a combination of these two and without at the beginning of htaccess.dist:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase BASE/

Any idea what I'm missing??

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"and that I need to manually create the wp-config.php. "

You can't. It just won;t install that way.

The *only* reason I have ever seen it look for the config file is:
    a) it's actually a single WP download (double-check
    b) it's finding a single WP install one or two directories up on the server.

3. seobrien
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, no, I know it won't install if you manually create the wp-config.php; that's the response from my host. So with that in mind, and everything I'm tried, what am I missing?

OR

Are you saying it doesn't even need the config file? If not, why isn't the install working??

4. cheryljns
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there a way to get mu to run in a sub-directory when there is a single WP installation in the root?

I'm thinking moving the single WP installation to its own subdirectory might do the trick?? ... But if you guys already know that won't work... I won't waste the time. :-)

5. Vivek Shah
    Posted 14 years ago #

@cheryljns,

I do same with my domain, but my blogs are not working, wait for solution

6. cheryljns
    Posted 14 years ago #

Woot!! It worked!

I copied the single user WP installation to its own sub-directory, then deleted the single user WP installation completely from the root...

And I was then able to install Mu in its own subdirectory. The Mu config setup ran like a champ!!

And now my new little project is ready to roll....

7. ktasche
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, maybe you guys can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I am on a shared server, with several of my own domains sharing the same host as the one I am trying to install Wordpress MU on.

Some of my other domains do have single installs of wordpress. Will this effect the installation of wordpress mu? I keep getting the "There doesn't seem to be a wp-config.php file. I need this before we can get started." error. And, when I click the 'Create a Configuration File' button, the page just refreshes.

So, my question is, will I need to remove all installs of wordpress from my host, even though they are not on the same domain as my wordpress mu site?

Thanks!

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, you don't need to remove them. The files go up a directory to detect a config file, and they're finding the WP ones. you can disable this.

Go to wp-blog-header.php, comment out line 9 "if ( !file_exists( dirname(__FILE__) . '/wp-config.php') && !file_exists( dirname( dirname(__FILE__) ) . '/wp-config.php')) {"

then go to line 24, which is "}" and comment it out as well. Then run the installer.

9. ktasche
    Posted 14 years ago #

Awesome!! That helped. I have started the install, so hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Thank you!

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by seobrien
  • Latest reply from ktasche