The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installation issue (9 posts)

1. mohanarun
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi I followed all the instructions in readme.txt file, but keep getting same error.

here's what I did
    1. Download and unzip the WordPress MU package.
    2. Create a database for WordPress MU on your web server, as well as a MySQL user who has all privileges for accessing and modifying it.
    3. Place the WordPress MU files in the desired location on your web server: - I uploaded all the MU the files to root.
    4. Make sure your install directory and the wp-contents directory are writeable by the webserver.
    5. Run the WordPress MU installation script by accessing index.php in your favorite web browser.
    This is where the problem starts.
    The error is
    Fatal Error
    If your blog does not display, please contact the owner of this site.

If you are the owner of this site please check that MySQL is running properly and all tables are error free.

Database Tables Missing.
    Database tables are missing. This means that MySQL is either not running, WPMU was not installed properly, or someone deleted wp_site. You really should look at your database now.

Now, in the database I can see that all the tables have got created. wp_site, wp_blogs, etc. etc.

Here is what I changed in wp-config.php

/** The name of the database for WordPress */
    define('DB_NAME', 'mohanarun');

/** MySQL database username */
    define('DB_USER', 'mohanarun');

/** MySQL database password */
    define('DB_PASSWORD', 'myterrificpassword');

/** MySQL hostname */
    define('DB_HOST', 'mohanarun.db.3980805.hostedresource.com');

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');
    define('VHOST', 'VHOSTSETTING');
    $base = '.';
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'lavinitair.com' );
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
    define('BLOGID_CURRENT_SITE', '1' );

I changed $base to '/' but no luck. i want to use the same MU installation for several domains, but to begin with, it needs to work with this particular domain. What am I doing wrong?

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well its hard to say because your site (lavinitair.com) doesn't work, OpenDNS doesn't seem to think it exists.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Here is what I changed in wp-config.php"

Ah, see the instructions never said to edit the config file, you never stated you did until this point. that's what's wrong. MU makes the config file for you. Delete it and try again.

4. mohanarun
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for the replies, I used lavinitair.com as an example, it is not a real site.

I changed wp-config because thats what I usually do for normal wordpress. But I see that it is not mentioned in the readme for MU. I will put back the default wp-config.php from the MU distribution and see if it works, but how will it know which database/user/password to use, if I dont change wp-config? I will try this now and post back the results here.

5. mohanarun
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi you are right, it says
    "If you have installed the single-blog version of WordPress before, please note that the WordPress µ installer is different and trying to create the configuration file wp-config.php youself may result in a broken site."

After I accessed index.php after removing wp-config.php. I would have thought this important info would have been part of the README.

Now there is another problem, in the isntallation screen it says

Blog Addresses
    Please choose whether you would like blogs for the WordPress µ install to use sub-domains or sub-directories. You can not change this later. We recommend sub-domains.

Sub-domains (like blog1.example.com)
    Sub-directories (like example.com/blog1

Now I dont want neither of them.

I have multiple domains all pointing to the same hosting package. I was hoping to use MU to create multiple blogs using single single MU installation, but each blog would appear for corresponding domains only. Like I have domains a.com, b.com, c.com, all pointing to the same MU install. Each suppsoed to have different blog contents, themes, and plugins. I am not sure about the "VHOSTS" mentioned in the README, that seems to be for, sub domains and sub directories.

Can MU do what I want? If it can, how do I go about it? Any guidance would be much appreciated and I will be thankful for it.

If not, I have to redirect each main domain to a directory and install different normal wordpress in each directory.

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I would have thought this important info would have been part of the README.

Where does it say to edit the wp-config.php? :)

Now I don't want neither of them.

You want subdomains and a domain mapping plugin solution. I think most of us are either using their own custom solution or this one:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

If you search the forums for domain mapping, you'll see some lengthy discussion on the topic.

Hope this helps

7. mohanarun
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi thanks, I guessed that this would have been required by many people already - i just didnt know what is the term for it - so now i got it 'domain mapping'. Thanks for the info.

Regarding the wp-config.php, it doesnt say to edit the file, but I would have expected it to say NOT to edit the file, especially because that is usual procedure for normal WP blogs.

8. mohanarun
    Posted 15 years ago #

Alas, this domain mapping plugin says it is compatible up to 2.6. I I have downloaded wp mu 2.7 (latest).

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You have to pick the subdomain option for the blogs FIRST. Then get MU installed.

THEN use the domain mapping plugin. It says 2.6 but it'll work.

Or, see if this helps:
    http://wpmututorials.com/simple-multi-site-plugin-e-book/

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by mohanarun
  • Latest reply from andrea_r