The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

pending comments visible to all (4 posts)

1. funkimunky
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have an installation of wordpress MU and have a problem. I have just taken over this installation for a local school and have run into a problem regarding unapproved comments.
    The school wants all anonymous users to be able to comment on articles, so
    Users must be registered and logged in to comment is disabled
    The problem is when a user comments all other anonymous users can view this comment on the articles page even thought the comments status is pending and has not had approval.
    I think that the installation has reciently been updated and this did not happen before the update(I dont know what the version was before and I dont know what it is now.)
    I know that Mollum has been installed to try and combat this problem but to avail.
    Can someone please help me as I have no Idea at the moment how to sort this very difficult (to me anyway) problem

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

The problem is when a user comments all other anonymous users can view this comment on the articles page even thought the comments status is pending and has not had approval.

I have a feeling that you're going all of this from a public terminal on a school network and accessing the net via a proxy. Is that correct? If not, please give details as to what's occurring and what your setup is.

The easiest solution is education and clearing out the cookie information stored within the browser. WP is detecting either the cookies stored within your browser from leaving the comment or you're access the site from the same IP address and therefore should be able to see the comment that was left.

To be honest, you're going to run into this issue with almost any form filled out on the net. Stuff like login forms will show the information of the previous user. Clearing out cookies and stored information should be stressed.

For a version check, take a look at the file /wp-includes/version.php. Newer versions of the software also contain the version number at the bottom right of the Dashboard.

A site for you to bookmark: http://wpmututorials.com

Hope this helps

3. funkimunky
    Posted 15 years ago #

Good Guess it is for a school setup and there are proxy servers involved. I did the clear cache passwords and form data, though after this did not clear the comment. ony when I forced a page refresh did the comment dissapear behind for the admin to authorise.
    I suspect that this site is being cached before it goes out the world wide web as these comments are visable to all from outside the network.
    I will investigate further, and thank you tdjcbe for you extremely usefull insight, into this problem.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not a problem.

I suspect that this site is being cached before it goes out the world wide web as these comments are visable to all from outside the network.

Agreed. Either the proxy or your local browser is caching the files then. Try adding clearing the cached files to clearing out the cookies as well.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by funkimunky
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe