The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress MU 2.7.1 beta 1 (30 posts)

1. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've just bumped the version number to 2.7.1-beta1.

I think it's quite stable but it still needs further testing and there are a couple of patches and changes that still need to go in.
    The admin bar settings will likely go into the profile, but possibly in some sort of "blog specific" section. It'll be sort of like regular blog options but will allow us to have options per blog per user.

Grab it directly from the 2.7 branch (revision 1715) in Subversion or download the zip file on the revision 1715 Trac page.

Please leave comments regarding problems with this release here or add to an existing ticket or open one on Trac.

2. Viper007Bond
    Posted 14 years ago #

The admin bar settings will likely go into the profile

Been meaning to do this in my actual plugin. I think it's only in Settings because it was originally not a per-user thing and I never thought to change it.

Well, that and I suck at making user-facing stuff. heh

3. helmi
    Posted 14 years ago #

Donncha, thanks for your work. 2.7.1 beta is running rather fine here.

One problem i've seen is that after importing a load of posts (around 2000) the counters of comments per post and posts per category don't get updated. I don't know if that's a special 2.7.1 issue but i thought it worked before - unsure.

Everything else is fine so far!

4. Konstan
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nice, but I'll wait until its out of beta to upgrade :)

5. VentureMaker
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there such a thing as changelog? :)

6. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

Konstan - why? If you test it on a spare server it'll get out of beta faster.

VentureMaker - svn log?

7. VentureMaker
    Posted 14 years ago #

Basically I mean a list of new features, list of deprecated features, etc.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

this is as close as you're gonna get

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/changeset?new=branches%2F2.7%401715&old=trunk%401648

For now... at least until someone does a write-up. ;)

9. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

The issue with plugins creating a broken link in the admin bar is still an issue with us.

10. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

tdjcbe - can you update the trac ticket on that? It works for me on the plugins I tried. Please help me debug it!

11. Twenty79
    Posted 14 years ago #

When will this be stable?

I get this on my install :

Warning: in_array() [function.in-array]: Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/sitecom/public_html/wp-admin/includes/plugin.php on line 233

Warning: in_array() [function.in-array]: Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/sitecom/public_html/wp-admin/includes/plugin.php on line 233

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fweetcom/public_html/wp-admin/includes/plugin.php:233) in /home/sitecom/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 689

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fweetcom/public_html/wp-admin/includes/plugin.php:233) in /home/sitecom/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 690

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

What's the fix? Which ticket was updated? I'm seeing 4 on this topic and it looks like they've all been updated. And then 919 got taken over on another issue.

Can we get them all combined into one please?

13. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

14. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

We have both fixes in there. Still have the broken links. We're running 1722 out of the 2.7 branch. Just replaced the entire wp-admin-bar directory and svn up'ed again. Still no dice.

15. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

tdjcbe - please update that ticket. I want to know what plugin is breaking, where it's installed (mu-plugins or plugins), and any debugging you've done yourself!

16. Konstan
    Posted 14 years ago #

If I had a spare server I'd test it obviously :P

Right now I am using wamp to play around with upgrades :)

17. amejat
    Posted 14 years ago #

Could anyone tell me why:
    - It takes so long to see the updates from wordpress 2.7.1 coming to wordpress Mu ?
    - It is impossible to get any roadmap for any components from Automattic (Mu Wordpress, bbPress, BuddyPress)?

I am member of several open source projects and ALL of them have roadmaps with deadlines and milestone whereas they are managed by community. Here we have a private company which is unable to simply define roadmpas and publish milestones and release dates...

Why ?

18. Trent
    Posted 14 years ago #

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/roadmap
    http://trac.bbpress.org/roadmap
    http://trac.buddypress.org/roadmap
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/roadmap

On each milestone, feel free to pick a ticket that you can help on and contribute a patch.

19. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

amejat - it takes so long because there are very few people working on the project. I'm the only person with commit rights, and only 3 or 4 others regularly provide patches.
    Giving more people commit rights isn't the way to go. That won't magically make more patches appear.

To make things go faster, pick a ticket and either try to fix the problem in there, or contribute a helpful comment.

20. amejat
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Donncha,

No offense but I just try to understand the Automattic business system. I tought that Wordpress Mu (like bbPress and Buddypress) where developed by developers hired and piad by Automattic. And Automattic highly claimed that they made money on Askimet, Wordpress.com etc...

So then, if it is the case, my question is simple: If really you are alone working on this, why does Automattic does not hire more developers ?

If the answer is that Wordpress Mu is not developed by a private company making lots of money, then, I have to apologize.

But even in that case, you have to admit that, looking at the few differences between Wordpress 2.7 and 2.7.1 and looking to the close codes between Wordpress Mu and Wordpress... it is hard to understand how someone, even alone, but working full time and paid for that, took weeks to implement the changes from Wordpress to Wordpress Mu.

To conclude, I see two possibilities:
    - First I really did not understand what is Automattic and Wordpress Mu is develop by a single volunteer, not paid, and doing that on his spare time... and then I have to simply apologize.
    OR
    - You are a professional developer, working full time on this project and paid by Automattic (and so us, as we pay for Askimet, wordpress.Com, etc...). In that case, you should ask to have someone else hire to help you if you are not able to do the job in a decent time.

21. MrBrian
    Posted 14 years ago #

Amejat,

It's an open source project that donncha overseas, for free, and it's not your place to discuss how WPMU should be ran or operated. Automattic has no reason to fund a project that could directly compete with their own (talking wordpress.com here) but they have been great about sharing some of their code and spurring the project with donncha at the helm. If progress isn't fast enough for you, that's tough my friend because WPMU owes nothing to you. It has a project management system called Trac and ANYONE is able to submit changes to WPMU for approval - that means you are welcome to contribute to speed things up.

22. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

amejat - I am the main developer of WordPress MU but I am also responsible for some critical internal systems at WordPress.com which, because they bring revenue into the company, take precedence.

GPL licensed software isn't about one company or individual putting all the effort into a project. The source code is Free to use and available to all for anyone to help. If your company has developers working on a WordPress MU site have they ever submitted any patches to the project?

MU 2.7.1 is almost ready. I'm waiting for tdjcbe to tell me what plugins create incorrect links in the admin bar and where they're installed. The links are fine for me if installed in the plugins dir but this is a blocking bug. amejat, maybe you can check that out and verify it works for you?

23. amejat
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just found that...

http://wpmu.org/tag/wpmu-271/

Glad to read I am not the only who would like the Automattic team just to tell us more what they are doing.

The job done is fantastic. No discussion on that. But the communication is... a mess.

I initially switched back to Wordpress for 2 reasons:
    - First: BuddyPress
    - Second: The fact that the main components I wanted to use (Wordpress Mu, bbPress, BuddyPress, Askimet) were all developed by the same team.

For me, it meant that you guies had a precise idea where you were going, you would make sure that everything is compatible and is developed in a synchronized way and... would move fast.

The reality seems that:
    - it is impossible to have any deadline for the development (like in a day ? a week ? a month ?)
    - it is impossible to have some centralized information for bbPress, BuddyPress and Wordpress Mu... Do you really need 3 websites ???
    - and whereas everyone is waiting for you to release stable versions (or at least up to date for wordpress mu), Wordpress Mu is more than two months late compared to wordpress, bbPress is still in 0.9 but if you want to use it with buddypress you have to use the beta version (first time I ever see that...) and for buddypress, the theme skeleton should be used with the SVN version...

It simply makes NO sense.

Please, start coordinating, start planning, start communicating with the community, and start having some common sense.

What every project should have:
    - clear goals (and not a long TODO list what someone may do some day...)
    - clear deadlines (like ubuntu...)
    - clear communication with the public (and not three websites with no info)
    - some common sense (do not propose to download things which can not be used with the stable version available...)

24. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

amejat - so, start by fixing bugs please. Verify that the admin bar links generated by plugins are correct. If nobody else reports they're broken for them I'm going to close that bug and release a new version.
    On the other hand, if the links are broken, please have a go at fixing the bug. Thank you.
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/913

25. VentureMaker
    Posted 14 years ago #

A few comments from my side, may I? :)

Glad to read I am not the only who would like the Automattic team just to tell us more what they are doing.

They CAN do this if they want. But they are not OBLIGED to.
    As MrBrian mentioned above 'they have been great about sharing some of their code and spurring the project with donncha at the helm'.
    I fully agree.

One thing though - Trac is more 'wiki and issue tracking system for software development projects', not really a project management system.

A question to community - what would you want to have as project management system? I mean, what except Trac (bug/issues tracking) would you like to see in project management system? Or maybe is anything besides Trac not really needed? Just curious to hear opinions.

For me, it meant that you guies had a precise idea where you were going, you would make sure that everything is compatible and is developed in a synchronized way and... would move fast.

If you have 3 kids, can you expect that they study in school 'synchronized and fast' (in the same manner) because all three are yours? :) I guess, no.
    Each kid is individual, so each project is.

- it is impossible to have any deadline for the development (like in a day ? a week ? a month ?)

This is really almost impossible, even when it comes to commercial projects. If you ever did any project management you should be aware of this.
    Here we have a 'free' project, maintained by people in their free time - means *when* they can do it and *if* they're willing to.

- it is impossible to have some centralized information for bbPress, BuddyPress and Wordpress Mu... Do you really need 3 websites ???

These are 3 separate projects. Why would someone want to plunk them all into one website?

- and whereas everyone is waiting for you to release stable versions (or at least up to date for wordpress mu), Wordpress Mu is more than two months late compared to wordpress, bbPress is still in 0.9 but if you want to use it with buddypress you have to use the beta version (first time I ever see that...) and for buddypress, the theme skeleton should be used with the SVN version...

So what? :)
    Well, if you've got a few 100's thousand bucks to spend I'm ready to gather a team and make WPMU 'synchronized' with WP, release 1.0 stable of bbPress and BuddyPress.
    If you don't - ooops, sorry ;)

Please, start coordinating, start planning, start communicating with the community, and start having some common sense.

You'd better not mention common sense here.
    What pertains other things in your statement - go ahead and suggest a scheme of 'coordinating, planning and communicating with the community'. I'd be the first one to read such a suggestion.

What every project should have:
    - clear goals (and not a long TODO list what someone may do some day...)

Got a few such 'goals' to drop in?

- clear deadlines (like ubuntu...)\

Will this really help you? How?

- clear communication with the public (and not three websites with no info)

Commented on this above.

- some common sense (do not propose to download things which can not be used with the stable version available...)

Is offering to download and test BETAs beyond common sense?

And one more thing.

I just try to understand the Automattic business system.

Why do you need to understand Automattic's business system? In any case, asking someone about the business system he uses doesn't usually lead to direct answers. This means you should analyze this yourself (if you really need).

Just my 2 cents...

P.S. Did not mean troll on someone/something or offend anyone here, so, please, don't take my post as something like this.

26. figaro
    Posted 14 years ago #

@donncha and mu development team: I've been using mu since it was first released and very much appreciate that you make this available for free. I don't pretend to understand the WP business model--haven't really tried to understand it--I've simply always been amazed that you do give away the mu package that can directly compete with what seems to be the "bread and butter" for how WP makes money through wp.com.

So, just saying, Thanks for continuing to update this and make it available for free. While you're doing that, lots of other people (including myself) are taking what you put out and making a few bucks on it...really can't see how anyone could complain about that.

27. cri
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there such a thing as changelog? :)

+1

Donncha, I really appreciate your work and understand your priorities, but I think that it wouldn't be such a big effort writing a simple news/changelog file at each release, summarizing:
    - new features
    - bug fixes (especially security-related ones)
    - possible things to watch out for after the upgrade

It would be a HUGE help to system administrators who must plan the upgrade task.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

28. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

29. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

There's also a changelog in trac (also noted in D's entry) and I try and do an overview with each release: http://wpmututorials.com

30. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

@cri - besides which, a lot of the functionality overlaps with the associated WordPress release.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by donncha
  • Latest reply from cafespain