The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Root blog with too many subscribers (6 posts)

1. julient
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey everyone,

We're facing some speed issues, especially with the root blog : it becomes sometimes very slow while the other blogs are running fine.
    I'm trying to figure out the problem. And I wonder if it has something to do with the number of subscribers registered on this blog. Apparently, when a user asks only for a username (and not for a blog), he's automatically registered as a subscriber on the root blog. And today, there are more than 5,000 users on this blog.

May this be a issue ? Is there a way to prevent the users from being registered on the root blog ?

Thanks a lot !
    Julien

2. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don't like the default behaviour of adding users to blog 1 either. Easy enough to add the feature with a plugin, it is a small pain to keep track of another edit to a core file during an upgrade to the site.

wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php ~ line 1187

// add_user_to_blog('1', $user_id, 'subscriber');

Using the SiteAdmin editblog function to remove a handful of users is simple enough, but 5000?! I've never moved that many.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

So... where are these subscribers going to do things like manage their profile or change their password? :)

4. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

Good point, in my case I manage less than 300 users, each has at least his/her own primary blog and registration is "whitelisted" to our school domain name.

OP has a point about page output functions(listing members/users/authors) on blogs where user sheer numbers "bog" down the blog. I've seen more complaints on this issue recently:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=11867

A related issue is raised in WP as well, if you have a sense of humour:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/226587?replies=2

The point? If your site is going to grow big, you need skills beyond adding a plugin and tinkerin here and there.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Lol, that's pretty funny.

I'm also wondering if there are any other factors at play here, ie; are they all also running a popular social networking plugin? ;)

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Another suggestion, which is what we do, is use a different blog than blog #1 for the user only signups. Do remember that even wp.com uses dashboard.wp.com for those accounts.

All you have to do is find that line dsader copied up above and change the "1" to whatever id is the new blog.

You may also want to install a special theme for that blog that redirects to the home blog. That way you won't have people wondering why they can't post to that blog.

About this Topic