The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Creating New Site Admin (10 posts)

1. albinoazian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Wordpress MU, as you know, creates the "super" administrator account as "admin". First thing I always do for OSes, sites, whatever, is to create a new admin account with a different and delete the default account. It is pretty standard protocol.

I did that with my MU install and even though I was in the root blog/site and created the new user and assigned as administrator, once I deleted the "admin" user, my new user doesn't have site admin controls. How do I fix this?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can't delete admin in WPMU. Give them a super-strong password.

"and created the new user and assigned as administrator"

Did you just assign them as an administrator on the main blog itself, or did you add them as a site admin, under Site Admin -> Options in the "site admins" field?

3. albinoazian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I added the new user under site admin, or at least I thought I did. I will delete and try again.

I teach high school and I have set up Wordpress MU to replace my department page and class page. A couple of other teachers in my department will have their own blog/site and access rights to only their blogs. However, I will be generating the content for the main department site and also my class site. I want my posts and content to have my name, not admin, on both the main site and and the class site.

I want my account, not admin, to have site admin responsibilities. Right now, even though I created my new account as administrator, it doesn't show the site admin section.

edit -- Ah, I think I see what you mean now, Site admin --> options. I didn't see that before. Thanks for the heads up.:)

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

And you can change the admin login to show your name, under the Profile link. Right where it says "Howdy Admin" in the upper right. Click there. Fill in oyur name and there's a drop down with "display name as"

5. andyhoyland
    Posted 14 years ago #

Jumping in late on this one so you're probably sorted - but once you've set yourself up as a Site Administrator you can then remove that access from the administrator - and decrease the admin role down to subscriber.

That would, I assume, have a very similar result to actually deleting the Admin account.

6. drogomoss
    Posted 14 years ago #

That was perfect Andy. Hahahaha!!! I should have visited this forum before wading in SQL.

7. mckernanlive
    Posted 14 years ago #

I was having this same problem: I deleted the admin user in SQL. Now I can't figure out where in the DB to set a user as "Site admin"

8. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

mckernanlive: It's not an easy task setting a user as Site Admin in the SQL directly. The info is stored as a serialized PHP array in the wp_sitemeta table. It'd be easier to reinstall WPMU, create a new user and set it as a site admin, and then delete the default admin user via SQL.

9. ideas4islam
    Posted 14 years ago #

i do have the same

I was having this same problem: I deleted the admin user in SQL. Now I can't figure out where in the DB to set a user as "Site admin"

how to fix it PLS

10. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you've just installed WPMU, do a reinstall (delete the wp-config.php and the .htaccess files and drop all of the wp_ tables in your database).

After you've reinstalled, create your new Admin user as a separate account. After it is created, go to Site Admin -> Options and set their username in the "Site Admins" field.

Log out of the default admin account and log in to your new account. Go to Site Admin -> Options and remove "admin" from the "Site Admins" field (make sure to leave your new username there, though).

Now, if you desire, you can go into SQL and delete the admin user without causing any problems.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by albinoazian
  • Latest reply from tmoorewp