The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

More Privacy Options Plugin Question (14 posts)

1. memitch08
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I've followed the instructions on the More Privacy Options Plugin - but am a little unsure of the features.

When I enable it and try to access a site on Explorer 7 - it just gives me a "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage".

I would like it to redirect to the wp-register page - is this possible?

Thanks!

2. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

There is no wp-register page in WPMU.

Lastest download is for WPMU2.7 but I have not heard any Exporer 7 issues. Can't imagine why the plugin would single out the browser. You'll need to give me more to go on.

Which of the three settings did you select at Settings-->Privacy?
    Which SiteAdmin-->Options-->Privacy setting did you select?

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/More-Privacy-Options/installation

3. wittenbp
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just installed this plugin and am having a problem. I changed a blog to make it only visible to logged in users and it disappeared from the all blogs list. Then I noticed that it was not visible when I was logged in. I then disabled the plugin and the blog still does not show up. I cleared browser caches and tried other browsers and still no luck. I'm running 2.6.2. I checked for updates on the list all plugin. I've got the most recent one.

4. wittenbp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok - here is an update on my problem: I reactivated the plugin. The blog only shows up in the list all blogs list when it is set at the least secure setting. When it is on any other setting the blog does not show in the List all blogs list regardless of if I am logged in.

I expected the blog listing would change with the visibility setting.

5. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

wittenbp,

" I would like my blog to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Sphere, Technorati) and archivers and in public listings around this site."

From what you describe, the List All plugin and the Privacy plugin are both behaving as expected.

When a radio button is clicked and saved on the Privacy Options page, the "public" in the database is changed to some number, 1, 0, -1, -2, -3. De-activating the plugin will not change that value, or restore it. The value must be saved again to change its value from -1 to 1 to be "listable" again. "1" is the only value to get the blog listed publicly ... any arbitrary value other than 1 removes it from a list.

If you want the List All plugin to show a different list to logged in users, or subscribed members, or the SiteAdmin you'll need to add/modify conditions to the $wpdb query in the List All plugin.

The following example will list a 100 blogs for a SiteAdmin with no regard for the "AND public='1'":

if( is_site_admin() ) {
     $blog_list = $wpdb->get_results( "SELECT blog_id, domain, path FROM $wpdb->blogs WHERE site_id = '$wpdb->siteid' AND archived = '0' AND spam = '0' AND deleted = '0' AND last_updated != '0000-00-00 00:00:00' ORDER BY last_updated DESC limit 0,100", ARRAY_A ); }
  6. wittenbp
    Posted 14 years ago #

dsader,
    Thanks for clearing this up. The "public" database thing makes sense with my experience. I think I neglected to reset an alternate radio button to set the levels back. Then I disabled the plug-in.

Your next comment on modifying the $wpdb is outside of my capabilities. I don't do php.

I guess I could just put direct links to the blogs in the sidebar. It would be ideal to have the privacy control just make the blogs and their listing on the lists visible or invisible depending on authentication. Maybe this is a unique usage.

7. wittenbp
    Posted 14 years ago #

dsader,
    I wonder if you might assist me with the code I would need to have this work the way I would like it to.
    The blogs are to be used for an academic program. Students and faculty will each have a blog. I would each user to be able to choose whether their blog is visible to the public or not. The other option is that it would be visible to any registered user in the MU install. No need to specify visibility only to those users assigned to that blog. I know the privacy plugin can regulate this.

What would be great is if the List All plugin then would show those blogs that are available to each reader depending on their authentication. If it is a general reader who is not logged in, they would see only the public blogs. However as soon as a user logs in they would see all of the blogs in the list all plugin.

As I said I don't know php, but I am ok with editing any files that might need it.

Thanks in advance if this is something you or someone else can help me out with.

8. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/is_user_logged_in

Edit the List All plugin:

if( is_user_logged_in() ) {
     $blog_list = $wpdb->get_results( "SELECT blog_id, domain, path FROM $wpdb->blogs WHERE site_id = '$wpdb->siteid' AND archived = '0' AND spam = '0' AND deleted = '0' AND last_updated != '0000-00-00 00:00:00' ORDER BY last_updated DESC limit 0,100", ARRAY_A );
    } else {
     $blog_list = $wpdb->get_results( "SELECT blog_id, domain, path FROM $wpdb->blogs WHERE site_id = '$wpdb->siteid' AND public='1' AND archived = '0' AND spam = '0' AND deleted = '0' AND last_updated != '0000-00-00 00:00:00' ORDER BY last_updated DESC limit 0,100", ARRAY_A );
    }
  9. wittenbp
    Posted 14 years ago #

I really appreciate your continued assistance. Thanks for posting the code. I put it in the list-all.php file and it did not work. I wonder if I have settings on my end that may be causing this to not work. When privacy was set to "reg. users on the site", the blog did not show up in the List All blogs, nor did the recent posts show up in sitewide recent posts list.

In addition to the list-all.php in the mu-plugins directory I also have the widget_list_all.php. In the current theme that I'm using to test the widget activates the list-all.

I also have a copy of list-all.php in the "plugins" directory. When I tried the code in there the site went blank.

Here is the blog site: http://visualstudies.art.gvsu.edu/blo

10. wittenbp
    Posted 14 years ago #

...continued.
    I was not sure where exactly to put the addidional code for the list-all.php file. I tried it at the end, just before the "?>".

11. existentialmedia
    Posted 14 years ago #

I looked at the list all plugin and it looks like you need to replace line 89

$blog_list = $wpdb->get_results( "SELECT blog_id, last_updated FROM " . $wpdb->blogs. " WHERE public = '1' AND archived = '0' AND mature = '0' AND spam = '0' AND deleted ='0' " . $order . " " . $limit . "", ARRAY_A );

with what dsader said

if( is_user_logged_in() ) {
     $blog_list = $wpdb->get_results( "SELECT blog_id, domain, path FROM $wpdb->blogs WHERE site_id = '$wpdb->siteid' AND archived = '0' AND spam = '0' AND deleted = '0' AND last_updated != '0000-00-00 00:00:00' ORDER BY last_updated DESC limit 0,100", ARRAY_A );
    } else {
     $blog_list = $wpdb->get_results( "SELECT blog_id, domain, path FROM $wpdb->blogs WHERE site_id = '$wpdb->siteid' AND public='1' AND archived = '0' AND spam = '0' AND deleted = '0' AND last_updated != '0000-00-00 00:00:00' ORDER BY last_updated DESC limit 0,100", ARRAY_A );
    }
  12. cpkid2
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm trying to use this plugin as a "maintenance mode" plugin. I've only allowed access to admins right now. Is there a way I can redirect users to a "coming soon" page?

13. seanbaugh
    Posted 14 years ago #

Im getting this - - any idea?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/s/u/s/sushinc/html/wp-content/plugins/rt-bp-kaltura-plugin/rt-bp-kaltura-cssjs.php:58) in /home/content/s/u/s/sushinc/html/wp-content/mu-plugins/999830698_ds_private_blog.php on line 168

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/s/u/s/sushinc/html/wp-content/plugins/rt-bp-kaltura-plugin/rt-bp-kaltura-cssjs.php:58) in /home/content/s/u/s/sushinc/html/wp-content/mu-plugins/999830698_ds_private_blog.php on line 169

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/s/u/s/sushinc/html/wp-content/plugins/rt-bp-kaltura-plugin/rt-bp-kaltura-cssjs.php:58) in /home/content/s/u/s/sushinc/html/wp-content/mu-plugins/999830698_ds_private_blog.php on line 170

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

There's whitespace in either the rt-bp-kaltura-plugin or the private blog plugins.

whitespace = extra line at the end of the file. There shoudl be nothing, not even a carriage return after the last ?>

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by memitch08
  • Latest reply from andrea_r