The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrading with hyperDB installed (19 posts)

1. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade from WPMU 2.5.1 (or 1.5.1) to 2.6, so that I can upgrade to 2.7.
    I've followed the steps given in the codex http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WPMU.
    But then I get "No WPMU defined on this host".

While I tried to figure out why it doesn't work fine, I wondered if it has anything to do with HyperDB. (For those who would ask : HyperDB manages multiple data bases for WPMU).
    Is the upgrade process compatible with HyperDB ? Has anyone experienced an upgrade with Hyper DB ? Should I deactivate this plugin (but then would the other data bases be upgraded ?)

Thanks for your help.
    Julien

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Julien, you upgraded from 1.5.1 to 2.6 right? Or to 2.6.<x>?
    Cause from my experience the best way to avoid troubles is doing incremental upgrades, like 1.5.1 -> 2.6 -> 2.6.<x> -> 2.7

Also, no, you should not disable HyperDB before upgrading.

3. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

VentureMaker,
    Yes I'm trying to upgrade from 1.5.1 to 2.6 before trying to upgrade to 2.7.

So if I understand good, HyperDB should not cause the issue ?

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nope, it's not HyperDB.
    Are you using subdomain or subdirectory install? And what vhost value in your config is?

5. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

We're using a subdirectory install. And thus the vhost value is 'no'

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does only main blog show the error, or other blogs too?

7. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

All the blogs. And I can't reach the bakckoffice either.

Looks like a "traditional No WPMU site defined on this host" issue, isn't it ?

8. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Did you overwrite config file by accident?

9. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

No I've triple checked that

10. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

When you did the upgrade you uploaded files, then went into backend Site Admin -> Upgrade and clicked the button, right?
    Did the upgrade finish OK or were there some errors?

11. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

No I only uploaded files. And when I tried to get to the site Admin : blank page and the notice "No WPMU site defined on this host" (in french, but it shouldn't change anything, I guess)

And then I tried to CHMOD all the files in 777 but with no success (still the same page)

12. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

When you uploaded files, were they set to overwrite the original files, or did you remove the old files?

That message shows up when MU can't find the blog info (from the wp-config file) in the db.

I haven't worked with HyperDB (yet) but you may also need to upgrade it as well. (Not sure)

13. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

You'll need to grab the latest version of HyperDB. As it replaces/overrides the WordPress MU database class, any extra db functions added for the latest version of WPMU need to be added to HyperDB as well other wise you don't see much on your site :)

14. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r : I removed the old files and then uploaded the ones from the 2.6 version.

What dou you mean by "blog info in the db" ?

I've figured out 2 things that may cause the issue. I'll try to fix and i'll let you know.

I'll ask the question to the hyperDB mailing list as well. http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/hyperdb

15. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

@julient - if you add the following to your wp-config.php

define('WP_DEBUG',true);

The it will tell you which function it is failing on. That way you can track down what you need to add or remove from the HyperDB class (if the latest version isn't compatible)

16. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

@cafespain : Ok, i'll try this.

For HyperDB, the README.TXT says I have to add this line on the top of wp-config.php :
    define('WPMU', true);

In mine, the line is :
    define('urlofthewebsite.com', true);

I haven't installed HyperDB by myself, so I don't know why this line has been modified. Do you know if it may be part of the problem ?

17. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

@cafespain : Ok, i'll try this.

For HyperDB, the README.TXT says I have to add this line on the top of wp-config.php :
    define('WPMU', true);

In mine, the line is :
    define('urlofthewebsite.com', true);

I haven't installed HyperDB by myself, so I don't know why this line has been modified. Do you know if it may be part of the problem ?

18. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

In the lastest version there is a check for defined('WPMU') so I assume it does something slightly different for an MU installation.

In which case, I suggest adding the WPMU line to your wp-config.php. It can't hurt after all can it :)

19. julient
    Posted 15 years ago #

@cafespain : yep, true ;-)

About this Topic