The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Migrate 1000 WP blogs to WPMU (7 posts)

1. kolchy
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi all. I've searched the net and this forum, but still don't have the answer. We have a network of sites (around 1200) that are all built on separate WP installs. What would the easiest way be to migrate these to one WPMU install? I need the content and the themes. Each theme is unique. I've read about import / export but that is just content, and I don't want to have to do it 1200 times! I've also read about extracting the DB, renaming the tables to MU format and importing, but again, don't want to do it 1200 times. Any other ideas out there? Anyone done this? Any tools? And advice???

Cheers!

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 14 years ago #

You'll have to write a custom script for this or hire someone from here http://wpmututorials.com/freelancers/

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I can say all 1200 of the themes will have to be moved.

(1200 unique themes? REALLY? o_O)

Are these WP sites all on the same server? Even by script, something's gonna have to be run 1200 times...

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea, no matter how many times it will run, here script itself matters...

I'm tweaking mine for a long time already :)

5. kolchy
    Posted 14 years ago #

Unfortunately, these sites are on a number of different hosts (hence the consolidation) and some of them I can't get root access, so its log on to each and pull down what we need. If no one has any ideas, custom script it will be :(

Cheers!

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 14 years ago #

You don't need root access, ssh under user is enough, although not 100% necessary.

People here might have ideas what the migration script is. But this sounds like a paid job and quite expensive one.

7. Paamayim
    Posted 14 years ago #

I did it once, and it was a really painful process and I cant be more detailed. It much depends on source version and destination version, with tons of variables involved.

You may start from creating a blog on the destination wpmu install, check the db from phpmyadmin and see what tables have been created, then import data into them. Consider that if source blog version is prior to 2.3 (not 100% sure here) tags were handled in a different manner, so you have to take this into account also.

You will also have to merge users into wp_users table, than spawn records in wp_usermeta.

Forget about a fully automated script that you can run once and it will work for every blog out 1200, you will have to do this one blog at a time.

About this Topic