The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Never got original email, still can't get to Dashboard (12 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

I never got the activation email at http://bicyclejournals.net.

I cannot use the "lost password" feature because I don't know the password. It isn't "admin" or "bicyclejournals."

If you answer, PLEASE be more specific than telling me to change it in the database, as I don't know how to do that, either.

Thank you in adavance.

2. spiff06
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello,

I assume you've been trying to install the latest nightly?

It shouldn't, but the admin registration script encodes the email address; you'll never receive the email.

In order to access the dashboard, you'll need to manually edit the database. This assumes you have access to it, via phpMyAdmin for example.

In the wp_users database (you may have chosen a different prefix than wp_), you'll find the admin user is there.

What you need to do is replace the password field in that entry:

1. Create an MD5 string from the password you wish to use (that can be created on this page or using any MD5 encoder script)

2. Paste the resulting MD5 hash into the password field

3. Save the database entry

You can now log into WPMU and access the dashboard.

3. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you.

It worked, and I am now able to access the dashboard.

The first thing I tried to do was put in the email I want to use via the dashboard, and I received the following error message:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/jean6289/public_html/wp-inst/wp-admin/profile-update.php on line 13

Any ideas? I can always try to fix the email situation via the database, but I would rather not have to do that every time.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think it just happenes with the admin setup.

The foreach issue has been discussed many times in the past. Here's one of the threads that covers it.

Good luck,
    -drmike

5. woody24
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am at this issue right now too. I went into the phpMyAdmin, and found the wp_users, but dont know which one is the admin. There isn't one called admin, and nothing says admin anywhere. Where is it, or whats it called?

6. kenlalonde
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just posted a fix to the missing admin email problem.
    See:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1211&replies=2

7. shallop
    Posted 17 years ago #

spiff06 rocks! The MD5 suggestion works for me.

8. drew3000
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm in the wp_users database via phpMyAdmin but don't see anything called "admin user." there are a number of things like user_pass and so forth to check out but don't seem to be getting much informatoon from clicking on any of these. Have figured out MD5 encryption and what I need to look for but not seeing where to find it. Can anyone tell me which exact file this is in?

9. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

In the database (you're accessing it using phpMyAdmin) you have gone to wp_users and found the admin users with a record called user_pass, click on the edit button and paste your new MD5 encrypted password over the old user_pass(word). It's that simple.

10. drew3000
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not exactly. I get to user_pass and I see a button that says save but nothing to edit. I see this message:

1 If field type is "enum" or "set", please enter the values using this format: 'a','b','c'...
    If you ever need to put a backslash ("\") or a single quote ("'") amongst those values, precede it with a backslash (for example '\\xyz' or 'a\'b').

2 For default values, please enter just a single value, without backslash escaping or quotes, using this format: a

Below that is a little question mark icon.

I'm allowed to mess with the field, type, length, values, collation, etc.but i'm not seeing anything called admin users. Still scouting around.

11. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

You need to get to the record by a different route. First click on the database in the sidebar. Next don't click on wp_users in the sidebar, click on the browse icon beside wp_users in the main window. Then you will see the users and can click on the edit button to change your password. Hope this helps.

12. drew3000
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey thanks Jalian. That cleared that up but allowed me to see the underlying prob:

#1194 - Table 'wp_users' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

I know it works though because I tested it on a different, functional database also. Now that I know this trick with the password I'm going to do a fresh install and try at it again. Much obliged for the assist.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from drew3000