The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wordpress mu question on best setup setting (4 posts)

1. jasperespejo
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello. I need some input from anybody here who has experience running popular wp mu sites. I plan to setup a blog site for photography lovers. I was wondering about the best setup for this assuming the site will (hopefully) become popular and host hundreds of blogs :-) I have an account over at mediatemple.

1. Should I start with (gs) or (dv)? gs will save me money but I am concerned about getting downtimes or maxing out the GPUs.

2. I already have a (dv) rage server but I have some important clients hosted in there. What are the chances the wp mu will max out my server resources? I cant afford to have my other clients' websites going down.

3. I have an amazon s3 account. If I host the media uploads there, will it have a big impact on lowering server load? Going back to (gs), will this setup work: websites on (gs), remote multi-db on (dv) rage and media uploads on amazon s3?

4. Any other setup you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

1. Go for the (dv). I harp on this all the time, but any MU site I've seen on the (gs) that get either any size or any amount of traffic becomes as slow as molasses.

2. just get a second account then?

3. yeah, it apparently helps to offload some media to AS3.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

This and the next post have some discussion concerning s3:

http://www.ringofblogs.com/2008/04/12/off-loading-wpmu-theme-files-to-amazon-s3/

4. jasperespejo
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you for the replies. Yes I think I will go ahead and get another dv.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jasperespejo
  • Latest reply from jasperespejo