The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrade Standard WP - WordPressMU (4 posts)

1. nirok
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi i've done quite abit of searching but I can't seem to work out the best search term and also I am sure i am not the first to ask this, but i'm wanting to upgrade my standard Word Press 2.7.1 site to Word Press MU. I already have a standard blog however this is starting to expand and now require a platform which i can add new blogs allowing members to register and interact with these blogs. Could someone point me to perhaps a previous posting or somewhere I can workout the proper way to upgrade this to my current blog? obviously i am doing some testing with a fresh install of Word Press 2.7.1 and attempting to upgrade this to MU, just so i don't stuff up my current blog. I have done a fresh install of the MU site then when it came to config I placed the database and user in the boxes from the 2.7.1 install I have. It seems to have kind of worked however I login with the Admin from the 2.7.1 install and it gives me permission as if i was just a contributor.... it came up with an error aswell just after I pointed the WU site to the 2.7.1 database. Does that make any sense?? really all i have done is point the MU site to the database of the 2.7.1 site. It came up with an error about a table not been present then i tried logging in. I got an email sending me the "admin" and password for the new MU site, however this doesn't work when i try logging in. The only user that works is the admin of the 2.7.1 site and this doesn't give me admin right when looking at the dashboard of the WU site...

Thanks for any help, really all i'm after is the steps to integrate Wordpress 2.7.1 to Word PRess MU

Thanks

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, you don't do that. You don't integrate them, you don;t upgrade single to multi.

WPMU is a *completely separate program*.

What you need to do is install WPMU, then *import* your current blog into it. I'd advise doing it directly in the DB, as the import craps out over larger blogs.

Further reading:
    http://bavatuesdays.com/importing-a-single-wp-blog-to-a-wpmu-installation/

3. codejunkie
    Posted 14 years ago #

I had to upgrade an old blog to wordpress MU recently.

It seems to have worked fine.
    So I documented it and also left any source code.

Further reading:
    http://adriancallaghan.co.uk/manually-upgrade-a-wordpress-blog-to-mu-multiuser/

It maybe of help if anybody else needs it

4. nirok
    Posted 14 years ago #

great thanks i thought that might have been the case as i would imagine there are some differences, yeah i was thinking of just importing through the database, thanks for the links i will give this ago on my test sites...

Thanks

About this Topic