The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

All in One SEO Pack [breaks signup & various admin pages] WPMU (19 posts)

1. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi there,

I have searched the forums and it looks like the All in One SEO Pack has bugs that break Wordpress MU. Mainly when you sign up to create a new blog.

I have read that there was a fixed version of this plugin that works on MU but unable to find the download location (the one at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/ v1.4.9 does not work)

This forum talks about it being fixed but there is no link to download the fixed version:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic.php?id=838#post-7420

Anyone know where I can get the fixed version for MU?

N.

2. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

WPMUDEV.org looks like a capatilist website that won't share with the community unless you pay them $50 a month...

I can't pay that as I don't have that kind of cash spare, it's sad to see sites like this making money from other peoples FREE hard work. I wonder how much the developers of Wordpress MU get paid...

It seems unfair that people like Donncha http://ocaoimh.ie/2009/04/17/wordpress-mu-271-beta-2/ spend their time developing something and release it for free only to find sites like WPMUDEV.org charging NOT donations for a service that should be open...

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

*shrug*

the plugins there are now GPL, you just have to pay for access.

FWIW, automattic doesn't care if people charge for GPL items, just that the license says people are FREE to use it as they like.

that's what GPL is, free usage, not necessarily free stuff.

5. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry, a little off topic for a bit:

Well... The thing is, this site http://mu.wordpress.org/forums does not charge anyone to access it and shares content and knowledge to the masses which in turn should make Wordpress MU better...

Now... WPMUDEV.org does not freely share it's code alot I might add based on other peoples work. AND charges for the service like many other sites do. However, WPMUDEV.org is becoming huge and probably ranking and drawing in more visitors than this forum.

So... What happens when no one comes here anymore and everyone goes there where nothing (could be the case if they dominate the Wordpress MU scene) is freely shared and capatilist pigs charge you $$$ to get the inside scoop.

Would that not hurt Wordpress MU further down the road.

N.

6. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

You have a nice forum btw andrea_r.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don't think so, because this forum is the "official" forum. Always will be.

Any other one (including mine) can go away or change at any time. the premium one at wpmudev was also closed at one point.

8. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

I scrapped the All In One Plugin and just made the code changes to the theme <title> tag myself. Anyone who wants to increase SEO can do the same:

<title>
    <?php if ( is_home() ) { ?><? bloginfo('name'); ?> | <?php bloginfo('description'); ?><?php } ?>

<?php if ( is_search() ) { ?>Search Results for <?php /* Search Count */ $allsearch = &new WP_Query("s=$s&showposts=-1"); $key = wp_specialchars($s, 1); $count = $allsearch->post_count; _e(''); echo $key; _e(' — '); echo $count . ' '; _e('articles'); wp_reset_query(); ?><?php } ?>

<?php if ( is_404() ) { ?><? bloginfo('name'); ?> | 404 Nothing Found<?php } ?>

<?php if ( is_author() ) { ?><? bloginfo('name'); ?> | Author Archives<?php } ?>

<?php if ( is_single() ) { ?><?php wp_title(''); ?> | <?php $category = get_the_category(); echo $category[0]->cat_name; ?> | <? bloginfo('name'); ?><?php } ?>

<?php if ( is_page() ) { ?><? bloginfo('name'); ?> | <?php $category = get_the_category(); echo $category[0]->cat_name; ?> | <?php wp_title(''); ?><?php } ?>

<?php if ( is_category() ) { ?><?php single_cat_title(); ?> | <?php $category = get_the_category(); echo $category[0]->category_description; ?> | <? bloginfo('name'); ?><?php } ?>

<?php if ( is_month() ) { ?><? bloginfo('name'); ?> | Archive | <?php the_time('F, Y'); ?><?php } ?>

<?php if ( is_day() ) { ?><? bloginfo('name'); ?> | Archive | <?php the_time('F j, Y'); ?><?php } ?>

<?php if (function_exists('is_tag')) { if ( is_tag() ) { ?><?php single_tag_title("", true); } } ?> | <? bloginfo('name'); ?>
    </title>

9. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

The All In One SEO updated version v1.4.91 seems to have been fixed so this issue does not come up anymore.

I sent an email to the developer just to let them know about the issue and they sorted it out within a few days! Excellent...

N.

10. gamerzines
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, 1.4.91 doesn't fix this for me. I still have the bug where it shows a PHP error in the SEO plugin on the sign up for a new blog.

11. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

hmm... It worked for me..

12. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

@gamerzines, you are right! It's not working. Shame...

Does anyone know how to disable the All in One SEO plugin on some pages?

Or, does anyone have access to http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic.php?id=838 and can relay what code changes need to be made...

The /wp-signup.php page is causing the issue but there may be others. Could someone could help me by telling me what code to stick in to the plugin in order to disable it on that page and maybe the entire admin folder.

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/DOMAIN.COM/wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/all_in_one_seo_pack.php on line 670

N.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Guys, there's TWO VERSIONS of this plugin. there's the readily-available one for regular WordPress in the repository.

The one at the premium site has been tweaked for WPMU to remove a lot of options users don't need to see.

Free tip though: you don't really need this plugin on a WPMU site.

14. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi again andrea,

I like the All in One SEO plugin as it's easy to sort the titles out without having to change all the theme title. I don't mind manually changing all the themes but if I need to change things later it would be great to do it in one place via a plugin.

Could you suggest another plugin that does the same hob but would work on MU...

"you don't really need this plugin on a WPMU site." - could you expand a little ;)

I know it's the content that's the biggest part of SEO, but the tweaks help out in search engines.

N.

15. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

A lot of the tweaks should be done on the theme level. On WP, you really don't run into much of an issues, but for something like this, havign it run on EVERY single page load is exponentially a whole lot more of an issue.

I'm nowhere near an SEO expert, I just know that Google loves WPMU-based sites. I have one site I periodically have to block google from crawling because it cranks up the server. Not running ANY seo plugins on that site either.

The plugin above can be stripped down to the things you absolutely need*, and run only on the blog you really need it on. That will help.

(* meta tags for example, but even then it's arguable as to how much or little weight they hold. not near as much as they used to as they are easy to manipulate.)

Short version:

write an if statement at the top of the plugin to check and see if the page requested is the signup page. If signup page, then don't run this plugin. Issue solved, or at least avoided.

16. Nimwit
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea,

You made a good point there. I don't want excessive load on the server that's for sure, DreamHost might not be too happy about that ;)

I only really need this plugin on 3 blogs within MU so I was thinking about just activating it on those ones then use the <title> changes above on all other themes which would be fine.

17. javajoba
    Posted 14 years ago #

This did not work for me.
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/257671

18. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

might be woth to have a look at the other seo plugins: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=seo

there is one which has almost exactly the same features, give this one a try: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/platinum-seo-pack/

19. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just to clarify a point since it just came up in another thread and appears to have been misunderstood here, there are other "other, more expensive services out there." Sorry if folks were confused.

About this Topic