The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

jQuery 1.2.6 Update to jQuery 1.3.2 (6 posts)

1. akcakaya
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi
    i'm using WPMU 2.7.1. I want to update jQuery and jQuery UI 1.2.6 version to 1.3.2 in admin panel. Is there any guide to update jQeury library. Which files i have to change?

Thanks.
    Have a nice day.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I wouldn't until the developers test the newer version to make sure it works with wp/wpmu.

edit: Yup, looks like it has issues:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8867

3. akcakaya
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I updated jquery 1.3.2 and jQuery UI 1.7.1 files to wp-includes/js/jquery folder. But there some problems while moving panel on dashboard.

Is there any other changes I should do except jQuery update?

Thanks.

4. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

Why not restore the jQuery library to the version it was originally. Then grab the Google Ajax libraries plugin which uses the latest versions of jQuery without you have to make changes on your local install.

Then you can test and if something goes wrong, disable the plugin and your set reverts instantly to the original libraries.

5. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

The real question is why are you trying to update the jQuery in the core? The dashboard admin is written for 1.2.6 and as tdjcbe linked, the newer version has some known issues with the dashboard.

If you want the newer version for a site, just include it in your site's theme and use the theme version instead of the core version. No conflicts and no modifying the core. Several existing themes do that already to ensure that they don't break if the version of jQuery in the core changes.

6. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

@kgraeme - Yeah, that's kind of a bad idea though. Hard-coded core javascript libraries in themes and plugins are to be discouraged.

What if I had a theme that included it's own version of jQuery 1.3 and two plugins that included their own versions of jQuery 1.2.6 and 1.2.1 respectively? Whole load of conflicts there, I wouldn't even want to guess which version I would end up with.

That is the whole reason for the wp_enqueue_script function, so one and ONLY one instance of a library is loaded at run time.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by akcakaya
  • Latest reply from cafespain