The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Convert subdirectory to subdomain (1 post)

1. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

It has become painfully apparent to me that I'm going to have to do subdomains instead of subforums due to advertising server issues (e.g. server ad based upon directory). This means that the URL is going to need to contain the forum category, something I really didn't want to do originally but it seems inevitable. I don't know how you can get an external adserver to simply "know" what category an article is in and that would require a WP only plugin to manage the ad serving.... anyways...

1) I need to then convert subdirectory to subdomain - is there any easy way to do this? I don't want to lose all the data already entered into the 4 blogs I've got up.

2) If I'm doing this conversion, should I create a new 301 redirect for each blog? What have you guys done so far?

3) SEO hit - Everyone always says use subdirectory not subdomain due to SEO issues. Well, how much of a hit should I expect?

Note: At this point I would like 3 of the blogs to be on one site but I also am aware that donncha's domain mapping plugin won't work for subdirectory or at least none of them work well for subdirectory, only subdomain. Thus 2 of the blogs would probably appear to be on another domain. Why am I doing this? To consolidate the login of all users into one centralized database that contains multiple blogs.

Thanks for all insights from people who have done this or used both. It's a big decision and I appreciate all your input.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by thelaw