The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New subscribers with admin rights (16 posts)

1. L777
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,
    I want my new subscribers to have their own blogs, but the problem is that they also get admin rights. Basically everything that the site administrator does, the new subscriber is also able to do, with the exception of installing plugins. How can I restrict new subscribers to do only certain things in their blogs? For instance, to create blogs, and maybe to change their blog theme, among other things.

Thanks,

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

They get *single-blog* admin, similar to what they would on a regular WP blog.

Have you logged in as a different user, or are you just checking as a site admin? Because you can go anywhere.

3. L777
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, I register myself as a regular user, and then logged in. This is where I noticed that any user that registers and creates a blog through my WPMU site will be able to basically do anything they want, with the exception of installing plugins, unless I enable it globally.

But I guess that’s how it is design to work; can I restrict this as the site owner/administrator? In other words, I would like to give new subscribers rights to what I want. Can I place banners on the blogs that other users create through my WPMU site?

Thanks for your support!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Bu they can only manage everything on their blog and their blog alone.

What is it you don't want them to be able to do? Because it depends.

"Can I place banners on the blogs that other users create through my WPMU site? "

Sure you can - you're the admin, you can do what you like. Hardcode it in the template if you want.

5. L777
    Posted 14 years ago #

What is it you don't want them to be able to do?

I don't want them to be able to create other users. In addition, I would like to define the categories myself sitewide and then have users blogging based on those categories.

Sure you can - you're the admin, you can do what you like. Hardcode it in the template if you want.

I would like to place different ads on the many blogs, is this possible? is there a plugin to achieve this?

Thanks,

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I don't want them to be able to create other users."

Then disallow it under Site Admin -> Options. It's off by default.

" In addition, I would like to define the categories myself sitewide and then have users blogging based on those categories."

You'll need to do some fancy coding then or find a plugin. There might be one over at wpmudev.org.

7. linkshare
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not wanting users to change the template is a big one, if you want a site wide consistent blog layout. ( home page and user pages )

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well.... if you only enable one theme, and there's only one theme to "pick" from, they can't exactly change it can they?

9. WebTrooper
    Posted 14 years ago #

My issue is similar - I want new users to get a blog at "mywebsite.com/username" when they sign up, and not be able to create more blogs (thus hogging up all the usernames).

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

11. arturo84
    Posted 14 years ago #

hi, i've a similar problem, i'm the admin of my site, if i can a new user his have the admin rights... if i login with "user1" this user i can admin my site... but his role is "contributor"... what's wrong on my site? thanks!

12. arturo84
    Posted 14 years ago #

update: the older admin have set "1" on administration user... -_- no comment. ;)

13. site4
    Posted 14 years ago #

Help! I searched but I don't know waat happened I woke to this ?? any Ideas? I have tryed overwriting the file no help ?

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() in /home/mysite4i/public_html/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 969

I don't want to mess with the core php file?

14. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Some plugin that you're using is having issues, most likely. Did you install anything new?

15. arender
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm sort of having the opposite problem. I'm trying to use MU as a safe place to teach a group of middle school girls how to program. I WANT them to be able to modify one of 6 templates I provide them so they can design and practice. How do I allow them that ability?

Thanks!

16. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

@arender - WPMU is set up to avoid letting people program. It automatically strips out thinks like embed tags and the like to keep all users safe. There's a plugin out there (unfiltered mu) that lets you override that. There are other plugins that let users quickly add php code and css code and the like. But, you're never going to have a "safe" environment in which to do that stuff. If you open things up to students, they're going to bring down the site, even if they don't mean to.

About this Topic