The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Homepage Pull All Blogs + Advice (7 posts)

1. Ben Lilley
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey everyone. I've had a search around the forums and can't find a way to do this well, and I would have thought this would have been easy!

Basically we are in the process of rebuilding http://thewire.co.nz - It's currently built in MU. We have a new design, but the main tweak is we want the homepage to display the latest articles from all the blogs - you can view the ideal end product here: http://code.pitch.net.nz/adm/005/

So my question for you is two-fold. Is MU the right solution for this site? Or could we get the same result easier with normal wordpress? And finally is there a clean and easy way to pull all posts from all blogs through to the homepage, without using a hacky plugin that makes it a nightmare to style the code it's spitting out!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
    Ben

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"And finally is there a clean and easy way to pull all posts from all blogs through to the homepage, without using a hacky plugin that makes it a nightmare to style the code it's spitting out!"

Yeah, they are a FEW plugins and a feed method to do this. Or are these the "hacky" plugins you're referring to?

3. Ben Lilley
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm not sure, I've looked at two plugins and one did the trick but the front end code produced was an absolute nightmare and required me rewriting part of the plugin to get the output I wanted.

That plugin was "AHP Sitewide Recent Posts".

I'm open for any ideas you may have and I'll see if they work!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Actually, that's one of the better ones. Considering the code output is an easily styled unordered list - what kind of output were you looking for? Most everyone has used that as a starting point.

Also, I believe that plugin has parameters you can pass with the function call pasted into the theme to get the output formatted differently without editing the plugin.

5. Ben Lilley
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea,

I guess to be honest I was just hoping for too much, I'd already written the styles/html that works perfectly with the normal Wordpress posts loop, so it was just a bit of a frustrating concept to go back and rewrite that bit to work with the plugin.

Just a little surprised there isn't a function which allows you to pull all the posts in one go. Oh well!

By the way, do you think MU is the right option for this?

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Just a little surprised there isn't a function which allows you to pull all the posts in one go."

Probabyl a few reasons:
    - no one has written it yet in the core
    - no one has submitted it to the core
    - everyone who uses it wants something slightly different, making the previous two points more difficult. :)

"do you think MU is the right option for this?"

If you have more than a handful of blogs, or are planning to expand, yes.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just a little surprised there isn't a function which allows you to pull all the posts in one go.

That was I believe the first wpmu specific plugin written for the platform way back when. Most folks went with that solution.

There's about a half dozen methods since then. Which one you use depends on your setup and how you want to display those posts.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Ben Lilley
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe