The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multiple roles per user / Blog specific roles (10 posts)

1. CarnageAsada
    Posted 14 years ago #

Greetings - Long time user, first time caller...

We've set up a few WordPress sites in the past but this is our first stab at a WordPress MU site. Our client is requesting to have multiple sites / blogs all run by a central install (hence WordPress MU). However, another request is that they'll have multiple users all contributing, editing, etc. with different roles on different sites / blogs within the WordPress MU install. So, for example:

Blog 1: User WALTER is an Admin
    Blog 2: User WALTER has no access
    Blog 3: User WALTER only has Editor privileges

I've been searching the sites (and perhaps I'm searching the wrong terms) and have been unable to find a solution for having a user with roles specific to a particular blog within WordPress MU. I.E. Walter can only be an Admin on Blogs 1 and 3 or only be an Editor on Blogs 1 and 3 but not be an Admin on one and an Editor on the other.

Are there any plugins or hacks or solutions to this issue? Thank you in advance

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Are you sure Walter isn't a site admin? If you;re setting Walter to be an admin on blog 1 (And I mean blog #1 which is the main blog) you;re also setting him to be a site admin which gives him admin access to all of the blogs.

Aside from that, what you;re describing is how wpmu works. Walter can be an admin of blog #2, an editor of Blog #3 and have no backend access to blog #4. It's just that first blog that you have to be careful of.

3. CarnageAsada
    Posted 14 years ago #

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Pay me no mind - figured out how to do it.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

friggin' forum burp

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

7. berchman
    Posted 14 years ago #

CarnageAsada,
    May I ask what you figured out? I am debating using WordPress MU and need the type of functionality you describe. Can you explain?
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks.

8. LoganSix
    Posted 14 years ago #

berchman,
    When you add a person, you can give him different access on different blogs. It's part of the "Edit" section on each blog.

9. everettr
    Posted 14 years ago #

Can you give different individuals different access rights on individual pages within a single blog? If yes, is it part of the base WordPress functionality (tied into the native security functionality within the application)?

10. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you set someone up as an "Author", they can only edit pages that they are listed as the author of. However, you can only set one author per page.

You can also password protect pages, which just makes it so that people need a password to view content.

Other than that, can you be more specific about what you need?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by CarnageAsada
  • Latest reply from tmoorewp