The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Blog registration is disabled - no options tab in my -wp-admin... (11 posts)

1. mashupmo
    Posted 14 years ago #

I did a clean install and can not find where to enable blog registration. My wp-admin does not have an "options" tab. I have expanded every tab from the top "Dashboard" to the bottom of "Settings" and did not find an Options tab.....

Why....

~Chad

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Do you have a Site Admin menu? There's a submenu called Options under that.

If you don't have a Site Admin menu, check and make sure you downloaded WordPress MU, and not single WP.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Also please make sure you're logged in as a site admin.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm asking specifically as there have been a couple threads lately where people say they are logged in as site admin and don't see the site admin menu on the side.

5. mashupmo
    Posted 14 years ago #

I noticed that there is a wpmu-admin php file. I have been logging into the wp-admin. But, when I attempted to go directly to the wpmu-admin and log in it tells me that I do not have permission to access this page.

I can not find any links to it in my other admin files.... How is it that I am not authenticating myself for the wpmu-admin?

6. mashupmo
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don't have a "Site Admin" menu... My wp-admin dashboard only has a blog admin....

At the bottom of the page it says, "Thank you for creating with Wordpress MU." Plus, there is a full directory of wpmu php files. So, I pretty sure that means MU was installed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is how I got started:

The WPMU was installed in a bundle package combined with BuddyPress through my hosting provider using SimpleScripts from BlueHost.com.

After installation I had to create the .htaccess file for that directory using their provided .htaccess-dist file. Then I began exploring the package to understand its features and discover any errors when I found this error.

That's how I got to where I am.

7. mashupmo
    Posted 14 years ago #

I will leave the site visible for today. You can look at it via http://www.moblidea.com

Take a look at the dashboard so that you can see what I mean:

http://www.moblidea.com/wp-admin/index.php

Here is a temp login (only good for today):

username: mashupmo
    password: 1a2b3c4d

I'm going to go visit my mother. I'll be back in a few hours.

Thanks,
    ~Chad

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Then they screwed up. Ask them. If you are logged in as the *Site* admin (username is admin), then you can see the site admin menu.

if not, get them to clarify whether they gave you a WPMU site to manage yourself, or if you're getting just a blog on the system. (oh wait, if you can see the file system...)

"After installation I had to create the .htaccess file for that directory using their provided .htaccess-dist file."

this should have been created on install. If the script doesn't, then it needs to be fixed too.

Say hi to your mom for us. ;P

9. mashupmo
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's easy to point fingers. They did the same when I went to them. Ofcourse their reply was not as friendly as yours.

Regardless, the issue is still at hand. Thankfully though, the information that you have provided gets me closer to a solution. At this point I feel that it is in their bundling of the two software packages that is creating the errors. Thus, I should expunge the bundle, remove any remaining files, and do a clean install of WPMU alone. Then, install the BuddyPress plugin so that I can take advantage of their social networking functions.

Thank you for all of your help. Your response was incredible.

My mother says, hello....... :)

10. mashupmo
    Posted 14 years ago #

Stage 1: Install of WPMU = Complete satisfaction

The install of WPMU went well. All connections to my db were successfull. I am now in my admin as site administator and see all of the lovely functions of WPMU.....

I just hope that installation of my necessary plugins goes just as well.

Thank you for all of your help....... :)

11. nandanjha
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have exact same problem.

I am at hostmonster and my primary domain is not the one where I wanted WP-MU. I realized that I can not install WP MU by follwing readme if its not primary domain.

Courtesy infosultan, I got a workaround where I needed to replace my root wpconfig and do few things. That ran into trouble so I asked my host folks.

They did something and suggested that I instead try SimpleScript driven WPMU+BuddyP installation which happened in a jiffy and now I am at same position as you are. I love wordpress so I am gonna delete everything and try installing WPMU again so lets see :-)

By the way, it would be a good idea to update readme for a case where you are not installing WP-MU on a primary domain.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by mashupmo
  • Latest reply from nandanjha