The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domain Mapping failing to work (I'm failing to get it to work) (17 posts)

1. jonperry
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm new to the amazing world of MU. I'm loving it but it sure is humbling me.

I cant get the Domain Mapping plugin to work for me. I'm following the steps correctly but number 5 has me stumped.

Here are the instructions in case anyone needs a re-fresh:

1. Copy sunrise.php into wp-content/. If there is a sunrise.php there already, you'll just have to merge them as best you can.
    2. Copy domain_mapping.php into wp-content/mu-plugins/.
    3. Edit wp-config.php and uncomment the SUNRISE definition line: define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' );
    4. As a "site admin", visit Manage->Domain Mapping to create the domain mapping database table and set the server IP address.
    5. Make sure the default Apache virtual host points at your WordPress MU site so it will handle unknown domains correctly. (Need info on cpanel, etc. How do you get them to respond to any domain?)

When I set up a domain for a blog to map to I get an aqua colored page with the following message:

Great Success !
    Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server

If you can see this page, then the people who manage this server have installed cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM) which use the Apache Web server software and the Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl) successfully. They now have to add content to this directory and replace this placeholder page, or else point the server at their real content.
    ATTENTION!

If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved...

Unfortunately for me, I am the administrator of the site involved.

Please Help! I'll love you for it.

I'm with Surpass Hosting if that matters to anyone. I have a reseller account with a cpanel and a WHM panel.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Step #5 means park or point the new domain to the WPMU install. Don't make a new account for it under WHM or cpanel.

3. jonperry
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have parked my domain name on the same URL as the MU site but it still does not work. I get the same Apache message.

These are the steps I took,

1. I went to my Domain Manager (my domains and my hosting are done by two separate companies) and I clicked the option "Custom nameservers (I host my domains elsewhere.)"
    2. I then entered the name server info and saved the settings. It told me that it was successful
    3. I went to my cpanel and clicked the option to Park a domain
    4. I entered the url and I got a message that said: "The parked domain BEAUTYMEETSFUNCTION.COM has been successfully created for you."

The strange thing is that when I go to my root directory I see that my domain name is actually a folder on my root. Inside that folder I see it has a folder called "cgi-bin" and 2 files - .ftpquota and .htaccess.

Is it supposed to be like that?

Underneath this folder, NOT inside it, is my wp-admin folder and all the other files for wpmu

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I went to my Domain Manager (my domains and my hosting are done by two separate companies) and I clicked the option "Custom nameservers (I host my domains elsewhere.)""

Are you using goDaddy? uncheck that option so it uses Godaddy's name servers. Go to total DNS, and make a new A record and give it the IP of your WPMU install.

The IP *has* to show your WPMU install. if it doesn't this part won't work and you're stuck. Get a new host or move your install.

"The strange thing is that when I go to my root directory I see that my domain name is actually a folder on my root. Inside that folder I see it has a folder called "cgi-bin" and 2 files - .ftpquota and .htaccess. Is it supposed to be like that?"

No. It created a web account for the domain. you don't want that.

This may help:
    http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/donnchas-domain-mapping-plugin/

5. jonperry
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have a shared IP. Is that my problem?

Im not using godaddy for my domain name, Im on a place called hotsaucehosting. It gives me these three option:

Parked/Forwarded nameservers (Park my domains here.)
    Hosting nameservers (Host my domains here.)
    Custom nameservers (I host my domains elsewhere.)

If I say "Parked/Forwarded nameservers (Park my domains here.)" it lets me edit a bunch of stuff like IP, CNAME and so on.

In the tuturial you sent me to you say you can "park the domain on top of the WPMU domain (better on shared hosts)"

how would I go about doing that? I thought that's what I was doing in my cpanel. (by the way, thanks for helping me, you are the best)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I have a shared IP. Is that my problem? "

Yep.

7. jonperry
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks Andrea, Im ordering a private IP from my hosting company right now. They say it will work. I just have to migrate everything over.

Thanks again.

8. Minotauro
    Posted 14 years ago #

"The IP *has* to show your WPMU install. if it doesn't this part won't work and you're stuck. Get a new host or move your install.

"I have a shared IP. Is that my problem? "

Yep."

andrea_r

So if the WPMU install is intalled on a server that hosts multiple accounts this will not work?

For example, I have several sites hosted on my server. Going to my server IP shows the Apache splash page and not the WPMU install. Does this mean domain mapping won't work on my server?

What do I need to do to make this work?

I tried getting domain mapping with Donncha's plugin and also with your domain mapping plugin.

Thank you

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It *will* work, but not by just pointing the new domain at the IP address.

You either have to get your webhost to move things so the IP address shows the MU install,

OR

you have to park each domain individually on top of your MU install. If you have cPanel, you go in there and pick "park a domain".

Otherwise, you'll have to explain what you do have, then I can tell you. (for example, if you have your own box and can fiddle with Apache and know how, I can just show you what should be in your httpd.conf file.)

10. Minotauro
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea_r

Thank you for your response.

Yes I do have my own server and know a tiny bit about editing the httpd.conf file.

By parking a domain on top of my MU install has a me a little confused as to what that means.
    I do have cPanel/WHM, but does that mean I should add an account for the domain I want to map to a
    subdomain MU blog?

I have several accounts for domains that I may want to use to map other subdomain MU blogs, will I have to
    delete those off my server for it to work?

Ok, so here's what I have:

I have WPMU installed in my root directory (example.com)
    I have WPMU installed on my own server. It was installed in subdomain mode (blog1.example.com).
    Creating blogs works as it should.

I have tried making Donncha's and your plugin work in several ways, here's two that I remember.

I have blog1.example.com under WPMU and I have http://www.blog1.com that I want to map it to so when
    I go to blog1.com I see the contents of blog1.example.com

So I went to WHM created an account for the domain blog1.com and added an A record pointing to the IP address
    of my server.

So now when I go to blog1.example.com it gets automatically redirected to blog1.com but I see the default godaddy page.

--

The other method was almost the same except I didn't create an account for the domain I want to map in WHM and instead added an A record pointing to my server in the godaddy control panel for that domain. This again, does the same. It shows the godaddy parked page when going to blog1.example.com

When that didn't work I added a CNAME pointing blog1.example.com to blog1.com, but the same thing happened, when going to blog1.example.com I see the godaddy parked page

Than you for your time.

11. Minotauro
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just realized I didn't mention the steps I did in WPMU backend. I added my server IP to the Domain Mapping Configuration and checked both boxes that say "Permanent redirect. (better for your blogger's pagerank)" and "Redirect administration pages to original blog's domain" though I'm not sure if I should check them.

Then I went to the backend of the subdomain blog I want to map under Tools > Domain Mapping and add the domain I want to map and make it primary.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"So I went to WHM created an account for the domain blog1.com and added an A record pointing to the IP address
    of my server."

And that's part of it... you don't have to add a whole web account.

"instead added an A record pointing to my server in the godaddy control panel for that domain. This again, does the same. It shows the godaddy parked page when going to blog1.example.com"

okay, progress. :)

When you type in the IP of your web account, what do you see?
    If you see the mu site, great!

By parking, this term is used in cPanel. Go to the cpanel account for the MU domain. Fidn the Domains section in the menu. there's a button there called "park a domain". Do that.

13. Minotauro
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea_r

Guess what!? With your help I got this working. I went to the cPanel of the WPMU domain and parked the domain I want to map to the subdomain blog. But first I went to godaddy and added the nameservers pointing to the WPMU domain and it worked.

This is great. Thank you for your help. Though it seems like common sense, I wouldn't have done it without your help.

Thanks again!

14. Minotauro
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oops I guess I spoke to early. The main page of the blog works but any links on the page return a 404 error.

"Not Found
    The requested URL /2010/01/10/hello-world/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Not sure where to go from here.

Thank you.

15. Minotauro
    Posted 14 years ago #

I take it back again lol.

All the links are working now.

Thank you andrea_r

16. ragulka
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi, I'm on a shared host and would like to use WPMU Domain mapping. I already use WPMU.

My WPMU install is at http://vabadus.org and my IP is 174.120.247.5
    The site I want to map is at http://gearhead.vabadus.org and i want ti to map to http://tehnikarent.ee
    I have setup WPMU as described in the instructions, but nothing happens. I don't know if I have a shared IP or not.

I have parked the domain on my hostgator account right now. I have a different registrar (in Estonia) and the domains nameservers are set to hostgator nameservers.

What do I have to do?

17. ragulka
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey,

It seems to work now. I guess I just had to wait for the parked domain to start working.

However, admin pages don't work. When I go to http://tehnikarent.ee/wp-admin/ I am redirected to http://tehnikarent.ee/?dm_gotoadmin=1&back=%2Fwp-admin%2F which just shows my blog home page.

If switch on "Redirect administration pages to original blog's domain" from Site Admin -> Domain Mapping I can use the admin, but of course, withoout domain mapping, so it looks like http://gearhead.vabadus.org/wp-admin

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jonperry
  • Latest reply from ragulka